One Of A Kind Single Action

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I thought you folks might enjoy seeing this gun. It is a TLA West Texas Flat Top Target in 41 Magnum. As many of you know the Texas Longhorn Arms Company was started by Bill Grover and they built a #5 Improved, a Border Special, a SA Army version and a Flat top target model. This is the only known Flat top target in 41 Mag. The most interesting characteristic of TLA's is the fact that other than one of a mirror image match pair, nearly all the guns featured the loading gate on the left side. I think this is one of the cornerstones of my 41 collection. I hope you enjoy the pictures.
TLA003.jpg

TLA010.jpg

TLA015.jpg

TLA016.jpg

flatgate

Hawkeye
Amazing find!

Being a southpaw I'd be totally confused trying to operate one of those Right Handed contraptions!

:D

Thanks for sharing. I never met Bill but did visit with him on the phone a few times.......

flatgate

VERY NICE Rob.
Bill lived about 10 miles (Richmond Texas) from me and I never went to see his stuff.
Shame on me. :oops: :oops: This was in the 80s had other stuff going on :(
I remember reading in the Houston paper about him making a gun for one of the Presidents. Might have been Bush #1 or Regan CRS is kicking in.
Jim

PS How is Rem doing?

cubrock

Blackhawk
Yeah - it could have been mine, but you can't have them all. I'm just glad it is still in the family!

One of these days, I'm going to take a family photo of my TLAs. I don't have a West Texas Flat Top Target, but I have a whole bunch of others. :)

d findley

Single-Sixer
The serial number is 5. I met Bill Grover at a Gun Show years back in Houston. He said he would make me a gun in any barrel length and any caliber I wanted. I asked about a low number. He said how about 5? At the time of his death he was working on a single shot .22 hand gun. We lost a great pistolsmith.