One I'll never sell........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

My dad bought this .357 Blackhawk in '67 ('68?), new in the box. My dad, and later me, walked all over Idaho with it for years. It's had a billion rounds through it (okay, maybe not a billion but many, many!). I still have the holster that we used for all those years. A true family heirloom! Love shooting it because the action is smooth as butter!
Dad matched up a 9mm cylinder to it years ago. Later he added custom grips from Nels Larson, an old gunsmith in the Boise, ID area, but now passed away. Great guy and great gunsmith. A family friend.
Dad sent it to Turnbull and had it color case hardened, and blued. I asked dad who did it before he passed and he said Turnbull. I called Turnbull and they verified it.
It'll go to my son when I'm gone.

IMG_1468.JPG
IMG_1459.JPG

Last edited:

Johnnu2

Hunter
I love family heirloom stories.... There is something about passing down a 'personal treasure' that touches the heart. And, yours is a great one... Welcome

J.

Great story and shooter ya got there.
I also have a 1967 357 that I bought new in 1967 S/N 99893.
It is the one in the middle. It probably has at least 150,000 rounds thru it and has won quite a few SASS Matches. Turnbull also did the case hard and I had the barrel cut from the 6 1/2" to 5 1/2"and a black powder bevel on the cylinder along with steel ejector rod housing.
If you still have the original NECK Feather grips they are kind of rare since 67 was the only year for them.

1647874230524.png

green_chile

Bearcat
I always enjoy hearing about guns being passed down to younger generations, especially when they are appreciated by the younger set! Love the grips and what's not to like about Turnbull's work!

Y2K

Bearcat
Great family story and also a Turnbull!

Can't get much better than that.