On the subject of..

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chief 101

Hunter
aviation, this is one I was a crewmember on(not this particular one) in '68-69. This pic came from a site on the internet not a pic I took
p2v.jpg

Chief 101

Hunter
Looks like a P-2 Neptune
That's exactly what it is. I was ASW tech which was an unnecessary job in the jungle so mostly I sat in the nose with a Nikon and photographed targets or helped work the radios...I was sure Jim would be familiar with this aircraft and I am always surprised at the number of people that know what this is...this Neptune was originally developed and built as a long range bomber in 1945 to help finish the fighting in WW!! but was late to the game. This plane can take off from a Carrier with a full load tho I have only seen pics of such...in my day nobody sat in the nose during landing or takeoff but that would be a rodeo ride, never easy to watch the jungle approach fast during a dive for pics....takes a lot of trust

Last edited:

Johnnu2

Hunter
That's when you want to be sure you don't have your finger in front of the lens :eek:

Chief 101

Hunter
The Neptune had outboard tanks on the wings for the jets, more commonly know as JATO. We had well trained crews that assisted repairs and refueling...we depended on the aircraft to stay in the air so that is part of the trust, we were involved...we used long range lenses on the Nikons and you hold those at the connect point on the lens...SLR so you saw thru the lens what goes on the negative...

Latest posts