OM Single Six Sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dan42nepa

Bearcat
Good morning.
Yesterday I wont a old model single six born in 1966 with a 5 1/2 inch barrel and both cylinders. It has a scope mounted on it but not rear sight that I can see. I bought it because although I own 5 mark 2's i have always wanted a single six. Yesterday was my day at a live auction and i got it for 250.00. I am happy with my purchase and my thinking was the scope mount and scope might be useful at a later date. In fact, my plan is to use the scope to replace the red dot that I have on my 10 inch mark 2 target.
What I cant seem to determine is if this should have come with an adjustable or semi fixed rear sight. I havent removed the scope yet and am curious on the accuracy with the scope before I remove it. Also it has what appears to be walnut girps with the black eagle.
Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also for replacement sight options where is the best source? Ruger or Brownells? or somewhere like that?

Thanks

Dan

flatgate

Hawkeye
There are two possibilities. Single-Six or Super Single-Six.

The Single-Sixes in the '50's to '73 era were made with a "dovetailed", drift adjustable rear sight.
120873814.jpg

In late '64/early '65 the Super Single-Six was introduced and it featured a fully adjustable rear sight. It fits in a mortise (groove) in the revolver's top strap. The sight hangs out over the top of the hammer.
268235710.jpg

Look at the rear of the cylinder frame, just above the hammer. You'll be able to easily tell if a rear sight assembly was there or not. The drift rear sight sets about 3/4 of an inch forward of the rear of the "top strap".

flatgate

Dan42nepa

Bearcat
Thanks for your reply. There is a groove about a quarter inch wide and deep where the scope mount appears to have been slid into. Now i am sort of concerned because the front of the mount is also attached to the frame. I think it may be drilled. I wont know until I take the scope off.

Dan

flatgate

Hawkeye
OK, you have a Super Single-Six and I'd bet your fears are correct about a D & T'd hole in the topstrap.... :cry:

For the price, though, I still think you did just fine. IIRC, you'll need the rear sight assembly with out bump. Brownells part number 780-012-048AC, phone # 800-741-0015, $16.40 plus shipping.

You've not mentioned the front sight so we'll assume it's still there. If not, the proper design has been not used on the Super Single-Sixes since about '74 but a MK-II .22's sight will work and look "right".

JMHO,

flatgate

street

Hunter
If it is a Super Single-Six the serial number will be in the 500,000 range.

Yes I know, there were a few Single-Sixes in the early 500,000 range, 500,000 to 505140 but they are somewhat rare and should not be a 1966 model.