OM Single Six question please.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I bought an OM Single Six today. It is unconverted and in very nice condition.S.N. 20-588xx and is marked Ruger .22 Cal. Single-Six . It came with a .22 LR cylinder mounted and an extra .22 Mag cylinder in a bag, No box or papers. The Mag cylinders number does not match but looks to be correct vintage and is a very good fit although I have not fired it yet.

My question is did this gun come as a convertible from Ruger? Being marked .22 and not LR or Mag. I assume that it was. Were the barrels of SS`s of that vintage intended to shoot the .22 mag.? Possibly the original mag. cylinder was lost and replaced with another so the numbers don`t match???

Cholo

Staff member
Here's some info from Ruger's website. It appears your gun is a .22lr only. Since Ruger was also making the Super Single Six at the same time, I believe the bores are the same. I'll leave that up to those who know more than I do.

www.ruger.com/service/productHistory/RE-SSixSM.html

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Thanks guys.
I may sell the mag. cylinder. I probably would never shoot it anyway and being that the numbers don`t match it would not really add to the value of the gun IMHO.
What do you think???

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Cholo , I fired the little Single Six in my shop this morning at about 25 ft. with both .22LR and .22 Mag. both fired very nice with the Mag.`s giving a group half the size of the LR`s. From my very limited testing I decided that the Mag. cylinder is a keeper.
I think the mag. cylinder was miss marked at the factory and is original to the gun. When cleaning it I found additional markings on the front of the cylinder. The last three digits of the sn.are 828 and the lr cylinder is marked such but the mag cylinder looked like it was marked as 881 but after cleaning and inspection and under bright light it looks like 88 and a 1 ( kinda shallow s shaped line)and on the other side 180 degrees away is a 2 plainly marked.
I think possibly the person engraving it slipped or got distracted and flubbed it.
At any rate it shoots just fine and is a keeper.
Thanks for your help. Chuck

street

Hunter
In 1969 all Ruger Single Sixes were convertibles, with one exception. Some of the Single-Sixes with a 5 1/2 in bl. will be .22 L.R.only. Not all but just a few. Just about every one WILL NOT have the last 3 numbers scratched on the cylinder. Only the convertibles will have both cylinders marked with the last 3 digits of the serial number. Another thing to note, since about 1962 or 63 all frames will be marked

RUGER .22 CAL.
SINGLE-SIX

No frames were marked WIN. .22 RF MAG. CAL. after 1962 or 63.

As for your gun if it's any bl. length except 5 1/2 in. then it's a convertible. If it's a 5 1/2 in bl. gun then only a letter from Ruger will tell for sure.

All information above is for the Ruger Single-Six, not the Super-Single Six.

street

Hunter
Chuck 100 yd said:
street , Thanks, mine is 6 1/2" . I haven't measured it but laying along side my 6 1/2" .41 mag. they are the same length. :wink:
That one should be a convertible!