OM Single Six 22 Mag unmarked

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yancy

Bearcat
I just acquired an OM Single Six 22 MAG, marked Ruger 22 cal Single Six, Serial 564 395. Trying to get information about it. Unusual in that it has a 22 MAG cylinder and .224 bore, but is NOT marked MAG. Any ideas on what I have? I would like to get a 22 LR cylinder - is that possible? Any idea of the year of manufacture? Can't find the cited serial number listed in the Ruger Serial Number Look Up table (newbie here - so may not know exactly where to look!). Many thanks!

Welcome to the Forum....good info above and yes , being that is the later ,llarger bore diameter you can fit ,add a 22 cal LR cylinder, check on line, after you get a few posts here on the forum, I believe you need 20 posts to get on and use the classified ads here to find another .22 lr cylinder for your gun,,,keep inmind you need to match the overall length of the cylinder that is now in your gun. end to end,,,should be somewhere around 1.620" plus...better to be longer so you can fit ,adapt it, than to be shorter and NOT headspace properly.............

this is BAD..........

STsdXCYm.jpg

Good luck and welcome aboard........:cool:;)

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

Good info above.

Basically,, a previous owner put the .22 Mag cylinder in a convertible gun,, and the .22 LR cylinder got separated from it.
After serial number 150000 approximately,, the bore diameter was increased & the .22 mags were added. So your gun is well into the range for that bore diameter.
As for the serial number look-up feature,, always ask here. We have a better reference guide, (as well as easier to find,) we used called the RENE (Red Eagle News Exchange) than even the factory site. Sadly,, SOME of the info on the factory site isn't exactly correct,, or easy to find.

As for adding a .22 LR cylinder,, pay attention to rugerguy's picture. You want to find a cylinder that the OAL matches your current cylinder. OR,, it can even be a few thousands longer & filed or honed down to properly fit. His picture shows the gap from the cylinder boss to the frame. Not good!

chet15

Hawkeye
I just acquired an OM Single Six 22 MAG, marked Ruger 22 cal Single Six, Serial 564 395. Trying to get information about it. Unusual in that it has a 22 MAG cylinder and .224 bore, but is NOT marked MAG. Any ideas on what I have? I would like to get a 22 LR cylinder - is that possible? Any idea of the year of manufacture? Can't find the cited serial number listed in the Ruger Serial Number Look Up table (newbie here - so may not know exactly where to look!). Many thanks!
With a serial number of 564395 you actually have a Super Single-Six with adjustable sights.
All Super Single-Sixes were shipped as convertibles except for a very few exceptions.
There were a handful of Super Single-Sixes with 6-1/2" barrel shipped as .22 Mag. only, but they are super rare. I knew of one of the 15 probably 20 years ago (555xxx range) and since that time have no idea of its whereabouts. But to be a mag only it will have to get a letter from Ruger verifying it as an SC6M.
I assume you have a box for your gun? There was a printing error in boxes about the time your gun was shipped, with the SC6 box having a .22 WMR caliber marking on the end. Coincidentally and at the same time period, the model RSSM box also had a .22 LR marking on its end, so the box printer screwed up.
Chet15

Yancy

Bearcat
Chet - thank you. I spoke with Ruger Customer Service in NH yesterday and she directed me to the form to submit for the letter. From her quick research she indicated it 'might be' on of the rare unmarked mags based on the Serial and lack of Markings, and indicated that serial number did not sell with the 22lr cylinder. She also said Ruger is "unable" to provide a spare 22lr cylinder "at
This time" Due to backlogs in the servicing / repair shops. I do not have the box unfortunately. Form and my $10 in the mail today!!

Yancy

Bearcat
Hmmm - not really interested in getting a transfer bar. Shoots really well with the mags and I have a stash of them - might just skip getting the LR.

contender

Ruger Guru
If you do decide to send it in for any work,, Ruger will do the "safety transfer bar" upgrade,, even if not asked too. If your gun is one of the really rare ones,, then by all means,, remove the OM lockwork & keep those parts at home before you ship the gun.
Good luck on your gun being one of the rare ones!

chet15

Hawkeye
Chet - thank you. I spoke with Ruger Customer Service in NH yesterday and she directed me to the form to submit for the letter. From her quick research she indicated it 'might be' on of the rare unmarked mags based on the Serial and lack of Markings, and indicated that serial number did not sell with the 22lr cylinder. She also said Ruger is "unable" to provide a spare 22lr cylinder "at
This time" Due to backlogs in the servicing / repair shops. I do not have the box unfortunately. Form and my $10 in the mail today!!

Well, you might have a winner then... that factory letter will tell you if it left as SC6M or not.
I wish factory personnel would stay out of the collector side of it though, because no Single-Sixes were marked Magnum on the frame after 340200 or so, but they continued to sell Magnum only fixed sight Single-Sixes (they are rare!!). And no Super Single-Six was ever marked with the Mag. rollmark on the frame, although they did ship at least 15 (out of an original order of 25) Magnum only SC6M's.
Also, as mentioned, except with a very few rare exceptions, all Super Single-Sixes were shipped as convertible.
Look at the front of your cylinder and see if the last three digits of the serial number are scratched there. If it is, 99.9% chance it left as a standard SC6 convertible (the "C" in the catalog number is the abbreviation for convertible).
If it left as a Mag. only, there is a 99.9 percent chance there would be no numbers scratched on the front of the cylinder, because once the cylinder was fitted, there was no need to remove it again and it was ready for shipment.
For convertibles, they had to remove one cylinder after fitting, so to keep them straight between different serial numbered frames, they numbered both cylinders.
Chet15

Yancy

Bearcat
Thanks again for the additional information. Face of the cylinder is clean, no marks of any kind, nor any on the rear or sides. We'll see what the Ruger folks have to say!

chet15

Hawkeye
Thanks again for the additional information. Face of the cylinder is clean, no marks of any kind, nor any on the rear or sides. We'll see what the Ruger folks have to say!
Wow! Keep us in touch on that one please!
Chet15

lolbell

Single-Sixer
Did we ever hear what Ruger had to say about the Six. Inquiring minds need to know 🤔

lolbell

Single-Sixer
Did we ever hear what Ruger had to say about the Six. Inquiring minds need to know 🤔

Yancy

Bearcat
Got the letter back - officially they say it's a standard SC6, but they can not confirm that it shipped with a 22LR cylinder due to the mag cylinder being unmarked. Box markings would have cleared that up, but no box! Found a LR cylinder on fleabay at 1.624 and honed it down with a few strokes to 1.621 to fit. Seems to be more accurate with the Mags though. In any case, a fun piece!

Attachments

• 34DB4DB7-0D78-4626-BE90-C4F10957175C.jpeg
    34DB4DB7-0D78-4626-BE90-C4F10957175C.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 83

Latest posts