OM SBHK Grip Frame beat up, will NM SBHK Grip Frame work?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Amanda4461

Bearcat
Hello folks,
I am new enough to Rugers that I can't answer this question, nor could the lady at Ruger who was kind enough to sell me some parts, but could only find the New Model SBHK grip frames in stock. I noticed in the drawings tha the OM and the NM have different springs and plungers. Since I want to put a brand new NM grip frame on my OM SBHK, can I do so by ignoring the NM's extra springs and holes for the plunger under the cylinder,and at the mainspring hanger, that I assume is a part of the transfer bar system? Also, after losing a few of the screws that hold the front of the trigger guard on, and finding the others loose as well, I assume everyone who uses these weapons also uses Loctite on the screws?
Thanks....Amanda

G2

Hunter
Yes a NM GF can be made to work on a OM. Need to build a Spring Plunger Block for the OM Trigger Return Spring. Clements has them for sale pre-built, Easiest, price $45:
A drop-in adapter trigger from Dave Clements Custom Guns http://www.clementscustomguns.com/
orig.jpg

Some retain them using the NM trigger return spring pin, some solder, ahhhh me I just JB Weld, plenty strong.

Screws, NM front, and back screws are the same and the "other screw" just order 2 of those. What is the other screw? the one with out the long pin on the end to retain the Hammer Pivot Pin.

Now with all that said, OM Super Frames are not all that hard to find, I would suggest a WTB placed in the Classifieds here at the Ruger Forum. they pop up, come out when you offer to pay upwards of $150/60 most sell for ~$125

when you say the old frame is "beat up"?? just what and how bad, any good smith or shop that does refinishing can make the old one look like new..........You can send us the old one and we can see what we can do for you.......... :wink:

Amanda4461

Bearcat
Dan,
The gun was used as a hammer by the former "owner". Looks like too many trips to the ballpeen training grounds. Yes, it could be welded up, maybe straightened too. Not worth the weld rod, but thanks. Might be why I paid $25 for the weapon :lol:
Thanks...Amanda

tek4260

Buckeye
If you decide to sell the OMSBH grip frame that is damaged, please let me know. I have some ideas for reshaping one and yours sounds like the perfect one for my needs.

Thanks
Thomas

flatgate

Hawkeye
There are parts out there.........

99143334.jpg

This particular "hoard" is not for sale, however. There is a good story here, though.

I found one of the Old Model Super Blackhawk hammers in a gun shop out here in the west.
The price tag was labeled at $125! Yikes, a little stiff, but, these "as new" hammers just aren't that plentiful so I figured I'd better "pony up" and be happy I found one.

The lady at the cash register rang it up and said $12.50 please. :shock:
Boy, was I shocked when I re-read the price tag........... :p

flatgate

Kewl picture flatgate, and a good story, yes, there are still LOTS of 'deals" out there.......and the grip frames, we just recently refinished two OM Super grip frames for others, and they came out quite well, have not seen one yet we couldn't "save"...........................take that back, had ONE "brass" frame that was NOT of this world, and took it to a couple of others and could not figure out the "plating" that was put over the brass, to try and save the casting craters,,,part of Rugers attempt to "save" from the scrap pile, and they still scrapped LOTS and LOTS of "brass" grip frames....................

wesfr5.jpg

wesframe1.jpg

it was coated with the same stuff they coat carbide drill drill bits,some sort of titanium nitride?? stuff as nails, and not able to even file through it........JUNK

Amanda4461

Bearcat
Gents,
Thanks for the offers to repair my old frame. I have a machinist and a welder at work that wanted to see if they could "fix" it, so I let them have at it. If they succeed, fine. If not, I'll just buy another from this board, or a new one from Ruger. At least I can find parts for these :D
Thanks...Amanda

Latest posts