OM SBH - a bit of an oddity

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JohnW

Bearcat
Just goofing around on Gunbroker, and saw this listing:

Ruger 'Old Model' Blackhawk - 3-Screw .44 Magnum - 7.5" Barrel - 1962
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/919529776

Looking past the safety conversion and rubber baby buggy bumpers, this is clearly an OM SBH, with protected rear sight, unfluted cylinder, steel SBH grip frame, high polish, etc. In which case the S/N indicates ~1968 vintage. But it is also clearly rollmarked just "Ruger Blackhawk", not "Ruger Super Blackhawk" on the LH side of the frame. So, it is easy to see why a seller not so knowledgeable in OM .44 Flattops and SBH's might list it as such.

Just thought it was interesting - makes you wonder how many such factory mistakes are out there.

hittman

Staff member
Or somebody put a Super grip frame on a Blackhawk?

But …. I also see according to Ruger's web site that the s/n should be for a Super made in 1968.

Don't have my RENE handy …. Be nice if member Chet1t5 and others will chime in.

hittman said:
Or somebody put a Super grip frame on a Blackhawk?

But …. I also see according to Ruger's web site that the s/n should be for a Super made in 1968.

Don't have my RENE handy …. Be nice if member Chet1t5 and others will chime in.

.44 magnum, 7-1/2" barrel, unfluted cylinder, SBH grip frame . . . SBH. Was gonna say non-SBH hammer, but it has been converted. RENE ser/no says SBH 1968. I'm going with improperly-rollmarked SBH. Includes original parts . . . kinda collectible shooter. :)

So far, no bids, and that $699 "opening bid" isn't helping. The offering expires tomorrow.

This is a case where understanding exactly what it is plays into the mix. Folks who don't appreciate the "oddball factor" are likely put off by the high opening bid, and those who'd be interested in it as a sorta "freak" are lying low to see what happens shortly before expiration. :lol: A $0.01 opening bid might have gotten it moving.

wwb

Hunter
Oddity or not, given the wear on the muzzle and ejector rod housing and the TURN LINE on the cylinder, 700 bucks seems awfully high.

Yep, there's configuration and there's condition. Here we have an unusual configuration in, uh, average condition. Makes valuation dependent upon one's view of the gun as a whole. JMHO :)

JohnW

Bearcat
Ale-8(1) said:
Yep, there's configuration and there's condition. Here we have an unusual configuration in, uh, average condition. Makes valuation dependent upon one's view of the gun as a whole. JMHO :)

Agreed! I posted only to point out the "odd factor" miss-mark. "Average condition" is a kind enough assessment. I have no intention of placing a bid, it was just something that caught my eye, and that I thought someone here may also find of interest.

It's hard to say how common or uncommon miss-marks are on older guns of any manufacture. My FIL has a Winchester Model 2, 20ga pump shotgun. It's quite obviously a Model 12. Though "Model 2" is struck quite evenly and normally on the barrel, there is no impression whatsoever of the missing "1", even with high magnification. Just another example of an errant rollmark.

wwb said:
Oddity or not, given the wear on the muzzle and ejector rod housing and the TURN LINE on the cylinder, 700 bucks seems awfully high.

That would not bother me at all. Guns are made to SHOOT NOT FONDLE. Cylinder ring little blue missing No Problem!
Little wear shows character! Rust and pitting is a whole other story! Enjoy. ps

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Not the first or last roll marking mistake Ruger has made over the years. The mistakes are not numerous but several have come to light, There might be a dozen like that or a couple of hundred. One of the more recent are NEW Vaquero large frame 44 Mags. About 16 were received by one distributor stamped 44 Special, just like the actual New Vaquero mid frame and Flat Top Blackhawk mid frame 44 Specials.