OM Rugers With The Plum Colored Frames - Please Explain

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chance

Buckeye
Another shade of Plum, also from this weekend in Yuma. Acquired this S-47 beauty in a trade with another forum member. Not only plum but with a Brass frame to boot (Brownells). Both guns in the trade used to live in Tucson.

44Plum004.jpg

44Plum006.jpg

44Plum007.jpg

Jay1958

Bearcat
I had a P95DC where the slide slowly turned plum colored over several years, so it is NOT something that is usually readily apparently when factory new for the Q/C people to find.

My P95DC slide started out black, looked exactly like any other. After about four or five years, and quite a few rounds down the pipe, I thought I noticed it changing color. It was subtle at first, I thought my eyes or mind might be playing trick on me.

Over the course of the next four or five years, it slowly turned a distinct and obvious plum color.

TnTnTn

Single-Sixer
I have a tang safety M77 in 7x57 that has a nice plumb colored receiver. I always liked it and thinks it adds character to the rifle. TTT

c.r.

Single-Sixer
I know the focus of this discussion is on factory blued firerms.........

However, I have two examples of Rugers that have been blued by one of the more popular pistol smith that each show plum tint and one with a bit of bronze thrown in.

one example is an OM BH, with the plum and bronze colors. i do not know what it looked like prior to the rebluing. The result is similar to the Security Six that WMG posted (i'm not suggesting WMG's is a reblue, only that MY revolver looks similar to his in color)

The second example is a NM Bisley. I purchased this gun new. There were no signs of plum tint to the gun. After the mods were performed and the gun was reblued, it has a bit of plum to it........including the cylinder and especially the hammer.

I'd also like to add that i have a few NM's that while the frames don't show it, the smaller parts such as the loading gates will have a plum tint.

don't know what this says, but just I'd throw it out there.

and great pics everyone.

~c.r.

singleshot

Single-Sixer
Here's another one. This is my daughters M77 Mark II in .243 that was bought new 3 years ago.

5361132029_905cc964fb_z.jpg

5361132015_51ba6972d4_z.jpg

The fun thing about this.. I just purchased a older Leupold M8-4X today that's turned half plum through age.... Figured if one was going plum, might as well have it all plum..

Singleshot

Chance

Buckeye
Flatgate. The barrel has also been cut down to 4 3/4, the brass grip frame is Brownells. Spme little things not stock but that PLUM has been driving me nuts with desire for a year. Finally it are mine.