OM Blackhawk 357/9 damage during shipping

Help Support Ruger Forum:

22bond

Single-Sixer
Hi I am new to this forum.
Today I picked up my 1969 Blackhawk which was in excellent condition.
But it was damaged during shipping.
Look likes the extra cyclinder nicked it.

It was insured so should I just send it back to the seller?
Or should I try to get it fixed?
Can something like this be fixed?
Does it affect the value?
thanks

IMG_8612MediumSmall.jpg

drew76

Bearcat
The seller should have had shipped it so that wouldn't have happened. Thats idiotic. How badly do you want to keep the revolver? It will affect the value; how much I don't know. You'll find out IF you try to re-sell it. It can be fixed, but what time and cost are you willing to expend? The end result may still show a noticible defect.
I might return it or ask for a cut off the price (good luck with that though).

22bond

Single-Sixer
flatgate":ncuohj02 said:
The only way to "fix" it is to obtain a "new", period correct grip frame.

Bummer.

flatgate
Is it hard to find a "new", period correct grip frame?
How much would something like that cost?

How much do you think it is worth now?

DGW1949

Hunter
That aint a shipper-induced problem. It's a packager-induced problem.
Some folks just plain don't excersize much care when packing stuff up.

If you approach it right, maybe the seller will offer-up some sort of compensation towards the price of a replacement grip frame.

Good news is..... Your's has an OM XR3-RED grip frame, which are easier to find in good condition, than the XR3 version.

Sorry for your misfortune,and I hope ya get it worked out.

DGW

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum.
I would contact the seller,,, POLITELY explain everything,,, and how you feel. Tell him that while you'd enjoy keeping the gun,, a little compensation should be in order. As mentioned,, if it has the XR3-RED grip frame,,, one of those can be found in very good to excellent condition for around $50-75. Yours would be worth about $35-$50. So if you replaced it & sold the other one,, the difference would be around $25-$50 or so. That's where I'd look for compensation,, in that area.
PS; those OM convertables are desirable,, and the grip frames can be replaced.

nn

Single-Sixer
How bad you want it, what are you going to use it for, and will the seller rebate $50 should help in your decision.
I would keep it and try and get some money back.

Meeteetse

Bearcat
If you intend to make it a safe queen then I would contact both the shipper and the packager and see what they will do.

If you intend to shoot the gun, then put it in an appropriate holster and enjoy it. You will eventually have other marks on the gun, all of which will add to it's history. I have several guns that have marks on them, but I don't care because I don't intend to sell them.

J Miller

Blackhawk
That ding would make me cry. After that I'd be at the range shooting it.

I'd contact the seller and see if he'll cooperate but even if he don't I'd keep it.

Joe

Hokie73

Bearcat
Keep in mind a new grip frame may have to be match polished and refinished. I would definitely see if the shipper will do anything. Maybe he can get something out of the carrier, but unless it was the USPS, good luck. I think UPS and FedEx get a comission for UNpaid claims.

22bond

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all the info.
I wish I had known about having to match the polish and finish. I settled w/the the seller today on an estimate that I came up w/ordering the part from Ruger. Seller was great and was willing to pay to have it ship to Ruger for whatever repair is needed.

I still went ahead and contacted Ruger trying to get an estimate. If it is much greater than what I settled for, I will just do it later when I have to fix something else.

I guess the urge to shoot it got the better of me - just thinking about how many weeks more I have to wait to get it back from Ruger.

contender

Ruger Guru
If you ship that OM to Ruger,, they will install the safety conversion parts WITHOUT your asking them to. It's free,,, but the action is horrible compared to the original. As mentioned above,, a replacement gripframe can be had & swapped easily. I wouldn't worry about matching the polishing areas etc. On those OM's the grip frames are usually easily swapped w/o any obvious defects. If you settled for around $50 you have a fair settlement.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
But Ruger will not sell you a grip frame without converting the gun. First thing they ask on a parts order is the serial number of the gun you are ordering for. Next thing they say is "send it to us, it has not been converted". You might be able to beat that somehow, but it is not easy to just order a OM part from Ruger.

22bond

Single-Sixer
That is correct. They won't even give me a quote on the part or anything else until it is converted.
I gave them the serial # and they think that it is not converted but it looks converted to me. Even the Seller (not original owner) said that it is converted.

COR

Blackhawk
You can see the transfer bar. Does it have one? I thought they also marked the frames after a conversion? My only converted one is getting "unconverted " so I can't check and see. I think their is a mark somwhere but someone more savvy will have to chime in here.

22bond

Single-Sixer
It does have the transfer bar. It is Ruger support that doesn't seem to have a record that it was done.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, a converted one.
It's possible that a private person converted it,, but not as likely. BUT the only way to tell is to remove the grip frame,, and look on the bottom of the main frame for a small stamped "R" where it will not be seen when the gun is assembled.
That OM NEEDS a correct set of parts to convert it back!!!! (Well, maybe after it makes the trip back to Ruger IF and only IF it makes that trip.)

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
If it were me and I was going to shoot it I wouldn't worry about it at all and shoot it to death you didn't mark it and will come to like the mark in years to come. It marks your pistol and can be used to identify it if it gets stolen or something. with use it will get wear and other marks on it or put a set of pachnyr grips on it and you will never know the mark is there. A lot of people don't like the rubber grips but I have them on all 9 of my ruger single actions they feel great and fit my hands fine.

Latest posts