OM BH and NM ERH question.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DGW1949

Hunter
I do a good bit of tinkering and repairs that concern the guts of OM revolvers, but very little assesorizing (is that a word?).....so I'm in the dark as how to proceed on a project I have in mind.

What I got here is an OM-357 which was nickel plated many years ago.
What I'd like to do is buy a stainless ERH so's I can polish it to (mostly) match the nickel, and add a bit of muzzel weight. Thing is though....being's how there's some discrepencies in OM/NM barrel diameters and chamber offsets, I aint sure if I need to start with the NM Single-6 housing or one meant for a BH, or Vaquero, or New Vaquero...or even if the ERH on those models are enough different from one another to worry about.
The obvious thing is that it needs to position the rod proper, so it lines up in the chamber right when the hammer is on half-cock. The other concern is that it have enough meat, so's I can fit it to the barrel and frame-opening properly.

Anybody ever used a NM housing on an OM-357?....and if so, which did you use? Will I need the ejector rod too?...or will my present rod still work?

Thanks for any input.

DGW

flatgate

Hawkeye
They are quite "generic" in my experience. Ruger has ALWAYS made parts very interchangeable.

The only way to know for sure is just buy a housing. Single-Six, Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk....

Check Ruger's part numbers on these items over the years. You'll get my drift....

flatgate

flatgate":2imq99sn said:
They are quite "generic" in my experience. Ruger has ALWAYS made parts very interchangeable.

The only way to know for sure is just buy a housing. Single-Six, Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk....

Check Ruger's part numbers on these items over the years. You'll get my drift....

flatgate

DGW,
I have bought new ones from Ruger and they all seem to fit no problem on the OMs.
I think the most I ever did was file on the hole, a weeee bit, that fits against the barrel.
Most of the stuff I sell has had to have the ER housing changed.
All the rods fit no problem.
Jim

yes, I agree with the abve, and the only problem we ever had was the "reduced"?? shoulder, in the rear , that goes into the frame, may have to "touch it up ,with a file, to "fit"....then polish away, it will come out looking like 'nickel'............ :wink: