OM BH 44 7.5'' vs. OM SBH 44 7.5'

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Malpaso

Bearcat
Once I get my No. 1 paid off I'll be in search of an OM 44 Magnum with a 7.5'' barrel . I've always wanted an OM SBH but as I've learned more about Ruger SA's, I've learned about the OM BH in 44 magnum and that there were some with a 7.5'' barrel. Please help me decide.

I can't stand 6.5'' barrels on a SA and if I go with a OM BH I'll have to find one with a 7.5'' barrel. I know they are scarce and will probably be more expensive.

I just read Sheriff Jim Wilson's article on the OM BH in 44 Magnum and he said it'll handle "any reasonable" 44 Magnum load. That describes my 44 Magnum reloading and am strictly into .44 Magnum bullets in 240 grains, except for lighter Barnes bullets in copper for hunting while I'm still stuck in CA. I don't have an interest in shooting .44 Special out of a .44 Magnum.

I LOVE the flat top on the OM BH's. I'm concerned what the aluminum frame would feel like and how it'd balance. And I don't like the look of worn aluminum. I'd prefer an all steel gun and love my all stainless N frame S&W's. I got to handle a friends NM BH in .45 Colt with a 4.62'' barrel and aluminum frame and thought it felt great; but perhaps because of the balance in regards to the barrel length.

I like the unfluted cylinder (I prefer the look and love it on DA S&W's and will get unfluted on FA's one day) and SBH hammer on the SBH. I don't mind the dragoon trigger guard but can care less either way. Some say it doesn't make recoil harsh, some say it does and some say only with heavy loads so I'm at a wash with that.

Perhaps I get more features I like with the OM SBH but I sure like that flat top! Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :)

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok,,, The OM Super will be easier to find AND afford than a Flattop 44 in 7-1/2".

That said,,,, I'd strongly suggest you find & handle both versions before you make the purchase. That way,,,, you will be making an educational decision,, & not one based upon anybody else's personal preferences.

Cholo

Staff member
You answered your own question. From what you've posted, get the OM SBH. I have both and prefer the OM FT, though I no longer shoot full power loads thru them. Full power .44 mag. loads will bust my middle finger knuckle like there's no tomorrow. Thru an OM SBH I have no problem.

I prefer flutes, you don't. Buy the OM SBH.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I prefer the Hunter style grip frame with the round trigger guard. 6 1/2" is my favorite length for hunting and seconded by the 7 1/2" for accurate shooting. When I shoot my Supers I put a Band Aid around my middle finger before I start or by 25 shots my finger will be bleeding.

CraigC

Hawkeye
The 7½" flat-top is rare and highly collectible. You would like pay as much for one as it would cost to get three or more Supers. IMHO, they are great guns but the XR3 grip is going to be a handful with full-snort loads. The Super will be much more comfortable to shoot and much easier to procure. In fact, you'll save enough money over the flat-top to be able to remodel it if the need arises.

IMG_9211b.jpg

DougGuy

Single-Sixer
olskool said:
beautiful guns,,,,,,,,

Yes they certainly are!

OP, I "get" the part about wanting an Old Model, but for hunting purposes I like the New Model better because they are inherently a bit safer to use, and they are a LOT quieter in the woods when you are trying to ease that hammer back! I would never move with a single action revolver cocked, but when sitting on stand the last thing I do after I get all settled in and can sit still, is cock the hammer back and I hold the revolver in a way that the web of my thumb is *always* between the hammer and the frame, and no part of my body or my clothing or other gear is anywhere near the trigger/triggerguard. For this reason and this reason alone I prefer a New Model revolver.

There is nothing in the lockwork that cannot be smoothed into an excellent trigger pull, there is nothing that makes the OM any more accurate than a well prepared NM, and in some cases the NM can be more accurate depending on how Ruger snugged the barrel to the frame, and they are a whole lot more affordable than the OM.

I know this doesn't have anything to do with the thread, but it is something to consider if you plan on hunting with it.

Malpaso

Bearcat
Thanks for the intel. I didn't know the NM's can have their actions and triggers tuned (I was told the transfer bar prevented it) and accuracy is as good or sometimes better than the old ones. That makes sense about noise control, especially out here.

But, I'd like to get an OM SBH: I look forward to the clicks! :D

DougGuy said:
olskool said:
beautiful guns,,,,,,,,

Yes they certainly are!

OP, I "get" the part about wanting an Old Model, but for hunting purposes I like the New Model better because they are inherently a bit safer to use, and they are a LOT quieter in the woods when you are trying to ease that hammer back! I would never move with a single action revolver cocked, but when sitting on stand the last thing I do after I get all settled in and can sit still, is cock the hammer back and I hold the revolver in a way that the web of my thumb is *always* between the hammer and the frame, and no part of my body or my clothing or other gear is anywhere near the trigger/triggerguard. For this reason and this reason alone I prefer a New Model revolver.

There is nothing in the lockwork that cannot be smoothed into an excellent trigger pull, there is nothing that makes the OM any more accurate than a well prepared NM, and in some cases the NM can be more accurate depending on how Ruger snugged the barrel to the frame, and they are a whole lot more affordable than the OM.

I know this doesn't have anything to do with the thread, but it is something to consider if you plan on hunting with it.

DougGuy

Single-Sixer
A lot of the OM SBH guns have a noticeable bulge in the bore right where the shoulder of the barrel meets the frame. You can feel it with a tightly patched cleaning jag pushed down the barrel, when it gets to that spot it will get totally loose for about half an inch then snug up again as you continue pushing it toward the forcing cone. It's how the barrel was faced off and how they tightened it to the frame that does this.

Newer models, and I don't have a serial range for when the machining at the end of the barrel changed, but the bulge went away and then there was more thread choke where the bore is squeezed down in the part that threads into the frame.

Carry a cleaning rod with a plastic jag with you, patch it real tight in a clean bore and push it through. The tightening and loosening of the resistance against pushing the jag through the bore, is a really accurate "feel" of what a boolit will be subjected to when it is fired. If it is a smooth push one end to the other, that gun will always outshoot one that has tight or loose spots that you can feel with the cleaning rod, and it doesn't matter one bit whether it is an OM or NM gun.

Malpaso

Bearcat
Good to know Bearcat, thanks. Would "fire lapping" (sp.?) take care of the bulge?

DougGuy said:
A lot of the OM SBH guns have a noticeable bulge in the bore right where the shoulder of the barrel meets the frame. You can feel it with a tightly patched cleaning jag pushed down the barrel, when it gets to that spot it will get totally loose for about half an inch then snug up again as you continue pushing it toward the forcing cone. It's how the barrel was faced off and how they tightened it to the frame that does this.

Newer models, and I don't have a serial range for when the machining at the end of the barrel changed, but the bulge went away and then there was more thread choke where the bore is squeezed down in the part that threads into the frame.

Carry a cleaning rod with a plastic jag with you, patch it real tight in a clean bore and push it through. The tightening and loosening of the resistance against pushing the jag through the bore, is a really accurate "feel" of what a boolit will be subjected to when it is fired. If it is a smooth push one end to the other, that gun will always outshoot one that has tight or loose spots that you can feel with the cleaning rod, and it doesn't matter one bit whether it is an OM or NM gun.

DougGuy

Single-Sixer
I don't think it will. If a barrel like this is firelapped, it would only serve to lengthen the bulged area.

Malpaso said:
Good to know Bearcat, thanks. Would "fire lapping" (sp.?) take care of the bulge?

DougGuy said: