OM bastard 357 Flattop (photo intensive)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chance

Buckeye
Picked up an OM .357 flattop, sn#12253, yesterday at the Wickenburg, AZ gun show. Gun has the transfer bar and 7 1/2 barrel.

Normal is the XR3 grip frame with hard rubber grips. Dimpled ejector rod, thin trigger, capped base pin latch nut and micro sight.

What is strange is the 7 1/2 inch tapered bbl with no rollmarks. The front sight is a serrated blade with a dovetailed piece of what looks like copper I would assume is for visibility.

I bought the gun knowing it was converted but didn't discover the bbl discrepancy until trying to find a 7 1/2" .357 Flattop catalog # in RENE. Any ideas what this would be worth as is and/or what it would take to return it to original? Will call Ruger first thing in the morning to find out how and when it was shipped.

It's really a nice gun the way it sits.

FT007.jpg

FT008.jpg

FT023.jpg

FT017.jpg

FT019.jpg

FT026.jpg

FT041.jpg

Tucsonite

Single-Sixer
Neat gun,

The barrel appears to be an aftermarket add on, along with the fron site.

Congrats on finding the one they didn't make :D

Dan

flatgate

Hawkeye
It was most likely shipped as a BKH-3, i.e. .357 with a 4-5/8" barrel since, in '58, there were not any other options. :D

Check the groove count on the barrel, just for grins. Ruger barrel? Unlikely, unless it's a 10 incher cut down..
smiley-shocked013.gif

The front sight is unlike any I've seen but it's "profile" emulates a Colt New Frontier, sorta.

Cool gun, nonetheless! Thanks for sharing.

flatgate

Chance

Buckeye
You wouldn't happen to have an om .357 bbl in that amazing bag of goodies you carry around would you Dan?

Good show with very reasonable prices.

Chance

Buckeye
It's a 6 groove. It is in very good condition and shows it has been well taken care of.

This is my first gun with the conversion. Is it normal to have to "1/2" cock the hammer to rotate the cylinder rather than just opening the loading gate?

flatgate

Hawkeye
The conversion design uses half cock loading even though it has a transfer bar.

Use the old rule of always pulling the hammer to full cock after utilizing the half cock position so the cylinder latch does NOT scour the cylinder any more than it's already been.

JMHO,

flatgate

Chance

Buckeye
Will do flatgate. Looks like even with a new bbl and uncoversion kit I could still be in this very right.

That serial number puts it right in the midst of a whole bunch of BKH3's (4-5/8") shipped late in 1957 or early in 1958.

Will be interesting to see what the ladies tell ya.

Nice-looking gun!

:)

flatgate

Hawkeye
It's just an example of the Gun Ruger Should have made.

Kinda like my RSS7...

332247836.jpg

Mine has a cut down 9-1/2 Ruger barrel.... :roll:

flatgate

americal

Hunter
I like it 8) 8) I would leave it alone :!: somebody went to A lot of work to have what was not made yet :) I have A flatgate 9 inch barreled s.s. taper barrel also--- with aftermarket micro sights :) changed early in it's life all the rust, dings, blue wear matched :lol: I will post it when daughter helps me :oops: yep--your gun like flatgates & I SURE like it 8)

Chance

Buckeye
Just got off the phone with Ruger and the definitive word on this gun is BKH-3 shipped Feb '58. And you were correct that it had the 4 5/8 bbl.

Using the flatgate cataloging method, would that make mine a BKH-37 ? That RSS7 is really nice.

You could always have one of the 'custom'boys, put on the 'proper' loking Ruger Blackhawk , front sight and then have the barrel 're-rollmarked with the 'address' in the correct location, and then you would truly have the "one they never did, but should have made........" I like it no matter......

Unconverted

Single-Sixer
Me, I'd swap that barrel onto a Old Model non-Flat Top and restore your gun back to the original 4 & 5/8" barreled configuration. JMHO.