OM 45 questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

steelheadnw

Bearcat
I stumbled onto this old model and snatched it up after feeling taken advantage of for $275 back in 94.. I knew there weren't many of them because I looked for years..
IMGP1115Medium.jpg

How many were made,? And if you could tell me what is an approximate value? I know, I need to join RENE.. Oh, i added the Bowen rear in 94..

Thanks
james

Nice find! The short ones are scarcer than the long ones.

Only made from 1971 thru 1973, the serial numbers run up to slightly over 23,000 guns possible.

RENE has "collector condition" 4-5/8" guns at $815 and 7-1/2" guns at $740. The equivalent .45 Colt/.45 ACP converts are $1025 and $875, respectively.

Nice boxes run over $150.

:D

flatgate

Hawkeye
Nice, very nice. I stumbled upon this one "on consignment" in a Wyoming gun shop several years ago.

12758483.jpg

It had been sent to Ruger for some work, which included a New Model cylinder and some funky lockwork... :roll: I added the Super hammer and grips and have since swapped out the grip frame for a "brassie".

A short barreled .45 Blackhawk sure makes a great "packin' pistol".

flatgate

steelheadnw

Bearcat
Thanks Ale-8 for the info. I agree with you Flatgate, the shorty OM 45 was about as well balanced as they came, if not the perfect packer, pretty close. Seems like Ruger has a never ending supply of that funky lock work... Flatgate, do you have any of those take off OM alloy grip frames laying around you want to get rid of?

james

contender

Ruger Guru
I bought my first shorty 45 Colt for a grand sum of $325 several years ago,,, and even then smiled at getting it. I'm truly enjoying each & every one I get. Don't ever lay your hands on a brass framed one,, or you'll get an itch VERY hard to scratch!

flatgate

Hawkeye
steelheadnw":3gu3pszv said:
Flatgate, do you have any of those take off OM alloy grip frames laying around you want to get rid of?

james

Sorry, I don't have any spares at this time.

flatgate

PS In a pinch one can adapt a New Model version.....
Click HERE for some images.

steelheadnw

Bearcat
Thanks for that link Flatgate. Even new modlel grip frames have dried up. I caught one @ Numrich a few months back, and was seriously out bid for one on gunbroker. went for $40 something. The search continues.

James

contender

Ruger Guru
They aren't all dried up,, just the CHEAP ones are dried up. NM grip frames are available. I've been known to pay as much as $50 or so for an extra NM gripframe. When you need one,,,!

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Have found and purchased three of the shorties, all mint and each a convertible, boxed and papered, within the last 10 months. Admittedly, not at all inexpensive........BUT, These do not grow on trees or come around frequently. Seem a great investment, JMO, of course. 8)

steelheadnw

Bearcat
wow, you gotta be kidding 3 shorty OM 45 convertibles in 10 months.. you've got the power! Up here in Montana a crapy beat up new model that has rolled around in the tool box with the tire chains is $400.. and people wont budge... Rarely see and old model up here, when you do they have been bouncing around with the tire chains longer the the New Models...

flatgate

Hawkeye
steelheadnw, yeah, I know what you mean. One has to keep his "eyes peeled" to find any nice ol' Rugers here in Wyoming. Oh, once in a while a prize does indeed "fall in my lap"......

44441495.jpg

Got it in Casper, WY!

flatgate

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I have been keeping my eye out for an OM 45 Colt Shooter but I sure don't see them around here. Some day I will walk into a shop and they will have one just calling my name.

I had a really tough time walking away from a really nice SS NM 4 5/8 45 Colt this weekend. It was cheap too, only $350, but my piggy bank is empty.