OM 45 convt. value?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

50coupe

Bearcat
Hello all.

Didn't want to hijack Allen207's thread with it's mention of values.

What would be considered the value of a 98% 4 5/8 .45 that was sent back to Ruger in 1978 (pre safety conversion days) and fitted with the ACP cyl?

Have the send back box with shop repair end label and repair invoice.

While we're at it, how about a value on a 7 1/2 convert. .......NIB.

Thanks, Victor

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, since it was not sold originally as a convertable, it reduces the value a bit from a letterable one. I have one of those that I bought at an auction. Mine was boxed with the correct box, and I gave about $650 for mine. I felt I got a pretty good deal as I was willing to go as high as $800 for it. (Gun about $600, box about $100, and extra cylinder about $100 = $800)
As for a 7-1/2" OM convertable if NIB about $1000 because of the box & condition. That's according to the RENE and current values for boxes etc.

Well
Here are two of them.
Jim
This one has been back to Ruger (not by me), fitted with a N M cyl., Old Army grip frame and reblued.
Looks like new. Doesn't letter as a Convertible
$530 about a month ago.
pix1199234640-1.jpg

Top one is a 98% convertible. $550 about 3 years ago without brass frame.
pair45-2.jpg

Just a few 45s
1255193470-1.jpg

tek4260

Buckeye
I gave $500 for my last OM 45 Convertable. They may be worth alot more to collectors and members here, but on the street in my neck of the woods they usually go for $500 or less.

Allen207

Single-Sixer
tek4260":1ssc2etb said:
I gave $500 for my last OM 45 Convertable. They may be worth alot more to collectors and members here, but on the street in my neck of the woods they usually go for $500 or less.

Can you please tell someone on the streets in your neck of the woods to contact me? :)

Hey Tek, oh man, buy and send me all of those $500 or less NIB OM .45/45ACP Convertibles that you can get your hands on...send them to me for an immediate 50% profit or we'll just split the profit when I sell 'em in my neck of the woods!!!
FT44

bigbore45colt

Hunter
Put me in line for all of those $500 OM 45s that are floating around in MS...especially those NIB ones with boxes and paperwork. I'll be EVERY one of them.

BB45C

tek4260

Buckeye
Like I said earlier, its all what you know and what the customer knows. About 2 years ago, I passed on a pair of Flattop 44's with a custom belt and double holster rig that were nearly unfired for $1000. It sat in the store for about 6 months until someone offered $200 for the holster rig and he took it. Then the guns sold for $400 each within about a month. The other prime example is the Polish Eagle Radom I listed for sale here. $800. No takers for about a year in the store. A few monther here for $800 shipped. Lowered to $600in store and still no takers. Listed it on Gunbroker and sold for $2850.

I am not saying the guns are not worth 1K. I am just saying that most people don't know the difference, buying or selling. If I placed a BN-44L and an OM 4 5/8 45 on the shelf side by side and both were NIB, and I asked the regular price of $420 for the NM and say $650 for the OM, I'd sell at least 10 of the New Models before someone finally bought the OM. And while you are at it, offer a 44 mag Ruger along with your 45's and you might as well get ready to sit on the 45's about a year. Your area may be different.

Heck, I think Wyandot Jim's examples prove my point. If you are patient and know what you are looking for you can find one for $500 from an individual. If ya can't wait, someone who knows what they have will gladly sell you one in the $1K range.

I am not trying to bash the prices or pi$$ anyone off, but I know what I see them for. I paid $500 for my OM 45 convertable which was $50 less than full asking price. It was laying on the table at the gun show in Jackson MS for everyone to see and I am sure he was glad to move it. He had the same gun at the Southaven and Batesville shows and I tried to by it at those show as well, but he would not take $400 and I wouldn't go any higher. But, I kept reading here about how much people love them and ..... :D

EarlB

Bearcat
Well I know for sure they will still bring $850. I had one on auction (BKH45X 7-1/2 inch, 98% or better - but no box or paperwork) on GunBroker that I sold for that yesterday.

Earl

EarlB":wkbzm9yi said:
Well I know for sure they will still bring $850. I had one on auction (BKH45X 7-1/2 inch, 98% or better - but no box or paperwork) on GunBroker that I sold for that yesterday.

Earl
Well I think what tek4260 is saying . Is what he sees them go for in his area period.
You got a fair price at the time.
I bought all of mine off of GB for a WHOLE lot less.
Good days and bad days on GB. I had a GOOD days for me.
You had a good day for you.
They are still out there.
Jim

EarlB

Bearcat
Depends on what you call a good day - I had $950 in it! :)

What can I say, I had to have it and they don't show up around here much.

I figured with the economy and all the way it is I was doing ok to get that for it.

Earl

Wyandot Jim":y07jtfig said:
EarlB":y07jtfig said:

Earl
Well I think what tek4260 is saying . Is what he sees them go for in his area period.
You got a fair price at the time.
I bought all of mine off of GB for a WHOLE lot less.
Good days and bad days on GB. I had a GOOD days for me.
You had a good day for you.
They are still out there.
Jim

50coupe

Bearcat
Thanks guys.

Very interesting discussion.

I have toyed off & on about parting with the 7 1/2 because it's a safe queen and I like to shoot my stuff.

Figuring in inflation, I still may not be able to see any more buying or trading power.

I gave $150 for the 7 1/2 in '76 and $160 for the 4 5/8 in '77.

The ACP cyl cost me $30 complete in '78.

Thanks, Victor

Latest posts