OM 44 flattops

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Ok, NOT an OM person like so many here so if those folks could, please educate me on OM .44 magnum flattops. I picked one up on a whim - maybe 85% or so. Might have overpaid, maybe not. I know there's Type I, II and all that but for the first time in Ruger-dom, I have no idea what I bought exactly. :oops:

OK tell us, just exactly what did you get......serial number helps, as well as any and all other pertinant information....maybe a picture??

bet you'll get a GOOD answer...... :wink:

REP1954

Blackhawk
I dont know anybody who wouldnt want a 85% 44 Flattop. It sure would be nice to see some pictures. Pictures are always good. Congratulations on your purchase.

Yep one pitcher is worth a billion words.
stevestuff2.jpg

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Well, the wife has the camera as usual so pics will have to wait. The 6 1/2" BH serial # 14987 has been converted. the loading gate is all nice plum while the cylinder has the most wear. The grips are not bad at all considering the age, one very small nick on one panel - the medallions look very good. I think someplace I read about a dimpled ER button - this seems to have one and the ERH has a notch by the base pin. Micro rear sight. Actually looking it over more, it seems the cylinder is where all the wear is, the rest of the gun I;'d call 90% if not more. Even the grip frame just has wear on the bottom front and rear edge. Locks up TIGHT and has almost zero bbl-cylinder gap. Trigger pull is typical for what a NM would be from the factory although it crisp.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Good for you! Those older .44 Blackhawks set the world afire! Prior to their introduction there never existed a really powerful single action revolver, except Elmer and his friends .44 Specials.... :roll: Way cool!

flatgate

BearStopper

Blackhawk
#1 on way cool!!!! I bought one similiar to yours that had been converted and I aquired the parts to unconvert it. Mine has a pretty good cylinder ring but very little wear but it appears that the grip frame was refinished possibly by Ruger when it was converted. I saw a couple of pics/posts on this site last year showing the Ruger refinished grip frames and mine appears to be the same but who knows for sure. I paid too much in total for mine but have never once regretted it as I love it so much. To me it is one of the two best SA revolvers ever made, the other coming shortly after that one in my OM high polish SBH. Both shoot so sweet and have some darn fine looks to boot. I know there are custom guns and more expensive ones too that are nice but I just don't think I could trade off my two .44's even for a first rate Freedom Arms revolver. I get a good feeling when I pick up an older firearm that I just don't get with the new.

Cholo

Staff member
BlkHawk73, you don't have to be an OM kinda guy. Keep it for a bit. Shoot it like it was meant to be shot. Feel the history. If you still don't like it after awhile, I doubt you'll lose much if any of your investment.

I kinda like my OM 7 1/2" Flattop .44, but I wish it could talk. Actually it does talk...Spanish, but it's a damn liar. It wasn't the gun that killed Che Guevara :wink:

contender

Ruger Guru
If you get that thing converted back to it's original lockwork,, you'd suddenly know a whole lot more about why we love them so. I only have a couple of Flattops 44's but I sure do like mine!

plus 1 on the "way cool"...sounds like you got a winner.......
all great points above, and just keep your eyes ( ears & wallet) open for some old lockwork....check with the person you got it from, they may still know where THEY got it from and we've seen "lock work" pop -up and come down the line to later owners.......never hurts to "asK' and remind them if they should happen to come across it.........a true 'classic'.....

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Got it at a shop so finding the previous owner is moot that route. Good chance my brother has the OM parts if I wanted to convert it back. Not my first OM, but my first converted one. (Have a 4 digit .41 and a 357/9mm convertable too) Now to try and wrestle the camera for a short time.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Ok, I am NOT a photographer so this is what ya get:

DSC04128.jpg

DSC04129.jpg

DSC04130.jpg

DSC04131.jpg

As noticable, the only real wear is on the cylinder but the ERH has the normal as does the very end of the cylinder a bit.

So...to not embarass myself and revel what I had to give, can I get some real world values. I think I did pretty good but wanna make sure. :embarassed;

BlkHawk73":13v1wf6b said:

As noticable, the only real wear is on the cylinder but the ERH has the normal as does the very end of the cylinder a bit.

So...to not embarass myself and revel what I had to give, can I get some real world values. I think I did pretty good but wanna make sure. :embarassed;

Well it should be worth at least $50 or whatever ya gave for it.
I paid $600 for the one with the stag grips and $500 for the other
Jim

BlkHawk73":2rphfp3o said:

Well it should be worth at least $50 or whatever ya gave for it.
I paid $600 for the one with the stag grips and $500 for the other
Jim

JNewell

Single-Sixer
I bought one from a local member here a year or two ago after meeting him at a range and having a chance to shoot it. From the first cylinder, we both knew it was sold. They're that special.

Do you know what I paid? I don't either. Oh, I could look it up, but the point is that these things are not only "vintage" and limited in numbers, but they handle in a special way. After you've had it a little bit you'll remember the satisfaction and you won't care whether you paid $50 or even $100 than some bunch of ol' boys on da intanet told you it was worth. Congrats, take it out and shoot it!