OM .44 flatop

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Ok, not an OM person by any means but found a converted 85% or so OM .44 mag 6 1/2" Blackhawk flat top. Ser #14??? Talk to me! I'm thimking project gun.

Dave T

Single-Sixer
I would be thinking - do you have the original parts and can you convert it back to the way it is supposed to be? As originally sold it is more desirable and probably worth more than what ever project you have in mind.

Just sayin'...
Dave

flatgate

Hawkeye
A "shooter grade" .44 Flattop is a $600-$700 gun around here. The steel ejector housing should most likely be the "off set slot" design. Varnished walnut grips were the norm on those guns.

Got any pics yet?

flatgate

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Thanx flatgate, I was hoping to get your input on this Only did a quick look-over before having it held for me. It did have varnished walnut grips that were ok, but certainly not great - it's shooter grade after all. The medallions were good though.
$600-700 though huh? That's good to know. Thanx! :)

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Dave T":2gjnm27n said:
I would be thinking - do you have the original parts and can you convert it back to the way it is supposed to be? As originally sold it is more desirable and probably worth more than what ever project you have in mind.

Just sayin'...
Dave

Thanx but that much I DO know about OM's. Just not knowledgeable on the variations and such. had heard talk about the .44 OM FT's and was curious if the shop once again, made a labeling/price error. :wink:

Bucks Owin":2gjnm27n said:
What kinda project? I kinda think FT's are superb as is! A trip "home" for refurbishing is about all I'd want to do to one....

Not sure but a Bisley conversion came to mind first of course. Not big on .44 mag but when opportunity knocks...

contender

Ruger Guru
OM Flattops shouldn't be chopped up & customized, even shooter grade ones. It's almost as bad as seeing one in a city police gun buy back program, or in a confiscated batch knowing it will be destroyed.
I say get it & enjoy it just as it is!

If it's that good a price that you thought the shop made a labeling error - and since you are not a 44mag fan, buy it and offer it here to someone that may want one and maybe even make a couple of bucks.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
BlkHawk73":25v7e0fx said:
Dave T":25v7e0fx said:

Just sayin'...
Dave

Thanx but that much I DO know about OM's. Just not knowledgeable on the variations and such. had heard talk about the .44 OM FT's and was curious if the shop once again, made a labeling/price error. :wink:

Bucks Owin":25v7e0fx said:
What kinda project? I kinda think FT's are superb as is! A trip "home" for refurbishing is about all I'd want to do to one....

Not sure but a Bisley conversion came to mind first of course. Not big on .44 mag but when opportunity knocks...

You have no reference books, ala "variations and such".....?

contender

Ruger Guru
Now Robb, I simply stated my opinion,,, but any gun belongs to the owner, and what they do is their business. I just personally prefer to leave them alone & customize other guns (mostly NM's) that were made in larger numbers, and have less collector value. If you are gonna customize something,,, the FIRST thing is a good action job,, and then the NM is fine!
I once had a H Bowen 44 spl conversion from a Flattop 357 that I was able to purchase at a low price because nobody wanted it. I got it, swapped off a few OM parts,, (I really needed the ejector housing too, but it had been shortened just like the bbl to 4-1/2") and then promptly traded it for a very nice OM Super and some cash.

Smee781

Single-Sixer
I've got a 1958 model 44mag that someone before me swapped out the barrel with a 4 5/8 ported barrel with a green ramp insert. The rest of the gun appears stock and has the old action, what a hoot to shoot!

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I am kinda thinking it's might be best to leave it as it is and just pass it along. I'm also not one for chopping up nice uncommon models, be it a OM or a NM. I'll wait and see when I get it home and actually see if it "talks" to me. If not, and right now it's likely it won't, I'll simply pass it along to someone that'll shoot it and appreciate it more so than I.

flatgate

Hawkeye
OK, here's one of those "for what it's worth" comments.......

I found a "shooter" .44 Flattop years ago. It shot patterns and not groups.
I visited with Salt Lake 'smith, Neil Wheeler at a show in SLC. He said he'd like to take a crack at it and see if he could make it shoot. I gave it to him and he recut the forcing cone. Nope; patterns. Next I sent it to John Linebaugh up in Cody, WY. John messed with it and fire lapped the barrel and suggested that a bit more TLC to the barrel may get the gun to shoot. He also, on an experiment, screwed on a 7-1/2" NM barrel. Bingo, it shot well. He sent the gun back to me along with the NM barrel. I played with a bit more firelapping on the original barrel, which had been cut back to 4-5/8" as part of the experiments..... but it was a piece of krap! I finally called Ruger and inquired about a new 4-5/8" barrel. "yup, no problem, send it over"..... so a few months later I got it back...

12401192.jpg

I stuck a QPR brass XR3-RED on it and it shoots great. If I get bored I can always read the paragraph on the barrel for some inspiration..... :D

flatgate