OM 357 FT to 44 Spl Conversion w/Pics

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Recently finished my economy "Double Eagle" conversion.

1958 357 Flat Top before photo:
orig.jpg

Completed conversion to 44 Spl, all steel FT:
Early super Blackhawk barrel with eagle cut to 4 5/8" with resoldered sight.
Ruger 44 Spl factory cylinder.
Replaced steel offset ejector housing with new straight slot hsg for additional ejector length.
Super Blackhawk cylinder pin w/collar; shortened on both ends.
XR3RED Old Army carbon steel grip frame polished ready for blueing with SBH wide trigger.
Originally adapted the new model XR3 steel grip but my loads rapped my knuckle.
orig.jpg

Shoots to point of aim at 25 Yards with my lighter bullets and faster powders with sight adjustment as shown. Hits the gong with heavy bullet loads or with lower sight adjustment, point of aim at 25 yds.

bronco45

Single-Sixer
Always nice to see the conversions. Always wanted to build one but could not locate parts or the cash for someone else to do the work.

Enjoy that 44, Specials are special.

flatgate

Hawkeye
44SpecialLowRez.jpg

Been working slowly on this one for quite a few years. I finally "test fired" it late in the Fall. With that extra tall Bowen front sight it, obviously, printed half a yard low at 25 yards. Next on the agenda is finishing the finish...

Specifics: OM .357 Flattop, OM .44 mag barrel, OM 9mm cyl. rechambered to .44 Special. Belt Mtn. base pin. The grip frame is a NM, steel XR-3 but it's missing that pesky lock... and has a standard mainspring assembly.. :D The hammer is a OM Single-Six with a NM Bisley top added.

flatgate

Hondo44

Hawkeye
flatgate,
Looks great, you have all the hard work done! The hammer is a nice touch. I have an OM SBH target hammer I'll probably install in mine eventually. I have one in my OM 3 screw 357 and I like it.

My original goal was to make it look completely 'factory' and eliminate the alloy grip frame. But I've wavered from the plan with the SBH base pin, straight slot steel ejector housing and XR3RED grip frame. Although at least it still has all Ruger parts.

The NM XR3 grip frame worked great but like I say, it banged my knuckles so I used it on an OM Super SS that I made all steel instead.

Oh, and the ejec hsg was fun since my barrel is an early "studded" type, but the 357 barrels were not. 1st I had to find the old screw with smaller thread but larger head from Brownell's. Then I had to enlarge the hole in the new straight slot steel hsg to fit the screw. But no real problem and now it's period correct for the 44 barrel.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I was pleasantly surprised that the XR-3 didn't rap my knuckle with a .44 Special load!

Good job on your ejector system!

Happy New Year!

flatgate

Boxhead

Blackhawk
Darn web blocker out here does not allow photos to appear. That said, and as Lee wrote, it is darn tough to beat an OM 44 Special, especially a Flattop.