OM .357 Flattop Grip Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ChuckS1

Bearcat
Got a 1962-vintage .357 OM flattop, 4 5/8 barrel, that came to me with the black rubber grips (now aged to brown). I was wondering if those were correct for timeframe or if it should have walnut grips like my 1961-vintage Single Six has.

Thanks in advance.

I recall from the RENE that around serial number 25,000 plus, the wood ( walnut) were started to be the way they they shipped and that serial number was around 1959-60 so being near a transition, may be either way, too often the original owner may have put on grips they liked better....I like the black, hard rubber ( plasticized) ones as that was "Ruger"............the brown color is fading or reaction to ultraviolet rays, wipe down with RIG< or dip in some 'Rit" shoe dye and they will darken up..........

Wow! 42665 is nearing the end to the .357 Flattops (last one is 42690 I believe) - your gun most likely shipped with wood grips - but who knows for sure with Ruger. I'd keep the vintage "brown" grips on it.

JohnW

Bearcat
That is a very late flat top. Agree, it's hard to tell with Ruger. That said, varnished walnut should have been standard at that time. 41244 (my FIL's) has them, and he is only the second owner.

ChuckS1

Bearcat
Thanks for all the replies. I put a set of stag grips on it. Pretty sure they're not factory, since the eagles on the medallions don't seem to match. One eagle has a thicker neck than the other and they're slightly off kilter. Looks nice, though, if you don't look too close. Other than a slight turn line, a little bit of wear of the left side of the muzzle, and the loading gate starting to turn plum color, the finish is in great condition,

Last edited:

JohnW

Bearcat
Hmm... OM .357 4-5/8" flat top, great finish, a bit of plum, stag grips.

full

;) :giggle:

Latest posts