Older Ruger 10/22 rifle. Still has metal parts etc.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kdogg

Bearcat
I've been hunting for a new or used older Ruger 10/22 for a while now. After hearing what alot of people had to say about the new ones with the plastic parts, I wanted something built back when they were "better quality".

Tonight I was in my local gun store and they had one for $199.95 plus tax.

It looks like it had thousands of rounds put threw it. OK, not really a big deal for a .22LR, I put 500+ threw in a range trip.

One thing I noticed though, if I grabbed a hold of the trigger guard, it had play in it like whoa. It has side to side slop and back and forth slop. It felt at though the pins holding it in here too small or the holes were enlarged.

Is this a big deal? The action seemed sold.

Thoughts? This is the first 10/22 I've seen locally in a year or so that still had the metal trigger housing.

Redstick

Single-Sixer
Sounds like meb'be the stock pins are gone and something else was used that didn't measure up the same diameter.

Firsttimegrampa

Single-Sixer
kdogg - Please go to ruger's web site and go to Online Video's on the right side of the page after you click on there. Click on Guns an Ammo TV 10/22 Trigger Guard Test and see for you self. I myseld want the new Polymer trigger after seeing the test. Judge for yourself tho..

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
How old was it? What S/N range? That's the big question. If it was old enough, with a pre-waring barrel, and a walnut stock I might still buy it. But it wouldn't have anything to do with the idea that it might be "better quality". I'd buy it because it was an old one.

If I just wanted one to shoot or to modify, I'd just get a new one and save the hunt for the squirrels.

I was looking at my new Mossberg 500 shotgun the other day, when I noticed it's got a plastic trigger assembly. Looks to be the same type of plastic the 10/22's is made of now. I've had the gun for several months and never noticed. I doubt it will make one bit of difference.

GhosT

Blackhawk
KNOW A GUY...lol
That knows Ruger 10/22s inside and out.Owns a ton ...old and new models.
He says the newer ones with plastic parts just as good.

My one and only 10/22...old all metal model.
Dropped a small fortune on it ,customizing..lol

But the GUY I KNOW,TRUST HIS OPINION over my own when comes to 10/22's If I was in the market for a new 22...Would be fine with a new Ruger 10/22.

kdogg

Bearcat
Well you people are the first ones to recommend the new Ruger 10/22's.

I've been following posts on another rimfire forum and the general consensus there is the new Ruger 10/22's are crap and that Ruger has lowered quality and quality control so much to try and save a buck that most of those guys refuse to even buy them, if they can't find older ones they build completely custom ones from aftermarket receivers.

Now the general plinkers don't seem to say much one way or the other, other then either they have one and it shoots fine or they have one and its crap. The new ones that is. The people with the older ones all say they work just fine.

I also got the same thing from about 99% of the serious shooters at my local gun club who shoot Rimfire events. The all think the "new" Ruger 10/22's, and the new MK III and MKIII 22/45 are all pure crap. They all seem to say the same thing I posted above too so I've held off buying a "new" 10/22 and I just bought a older MKII 22/45 and was still looking for an older 10/22.

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
I agree that the MK II pistols are better than the MKIII simply due to less mechanical gadgetry

But the difference on the new 10/22 vs the old ones is purely cosmetic. The polymer TG in the new guns have been proven again and again to be of higher tolerance, durability, and quality over the older metal ones.

I still prefer the metal, but would no means discount the new ones as crap like many of the "who moved my cheese" people who pitch a fit anytime something is different because of the new = cheaper crap mentality.

wingspar

Bearcat
kdogg":2q3oxfox said:
Well you people are the first ones to recommend the new Ruger 10/22's.

You know, I've been reading posts on the 10/22 as it looks like a kick in the pants to shoot. All comments either say the gun is crap, or it's the best gun of its type out there. Few in-between. The reputation the 10/22 has is quite strong, and it's been around a long time and is also proven. I've seen them as low as $160 new. MSRP is $269.

If you do a search for the Ruger 10/22 on YouTube, you won't see anything but positive comments. I have also seen a lot of videos where guys have turned them into full auto. Take what you read on the forums with a grain of salt, do your homework, and buy one if you still want one. Don't like it? Probably easy to sell.

9x19

Hunter
I may be a bit late to the party, and my sample a bit small, but I have nine older models and three newer models and find them to be about the same in terms of performance.

How many of each model do these "serious shooters" have trigger time with?

Aesthetics have changed, as the newer models have a matte finish instead of a polished finish and some older "alloy" parts are now made from synthetics... which some interpret as lesser quality... but none of mine have any issues and are each more accurate than I can hold off-hand.

BTW, I like the new matte stainless:

1022RPF.jpg

YMMV, I guess.

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
It took a while to grow on me, but I like the new matte finish as well or better than I do the old.

I'm not going out and buying any new ones, I've already got five of the old ones, but I think that matte black/walnut DSP looks nice.

As for the Mk II/MK III debate, I can't get into that one either. I've got one of each and don't see a dimes worth of difference.

Cheeser

Bearcat
The metal trigger guard is cast as part of the TG, so if it wiggles the whole TG is wiggling. Does it cock and fire? There are two pins that mount the TG.

I bought a used 10/22 with metal TG, and my 8# scale didn't come close to being enough. But it's the hammer and sear that make the difference, and the plastic TG has a metal hammer and sear. Plastic works well for what it's used for.