older 45colt BH ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

44-357

Single-Sixer
I seen today at a local shop for $399 a older 7 1/2 inch BH 45colt with 45acp cylinder in a red bag. it is pre big writing on the barrel. my question is was there any issues with the dia of the cyl openings between the different rounds?I saw some where that there were issues with certian dia bullets

Motex66

Single-Sixer
The 45 Colt had issues with cylinder openings. The 45 APC cylinder opening I don't know. I would check how it shot if I bought it an go from there. The bore is the same. Cylinder openings should be the same.
Some early Pre warning New Models shipped with an Old Model cylinder.
I don't think thats a bad price for a pre warning a great price for an Old Model.
John

J Miller

Blackhawk
Yes there are issues with the chamber throats on both the Colt and ACP cylinders. A few have over sized throats, but most are under sized.

The undersized ones are far easier to make right.

Joe

As mentioned, it's still a .45 convertible at a fair price if it's in good shape.

Will the shop let you check it out closely? If a .451" jacketed bullet will slip thru the cylinder throats with just a little push, it's OK. If the bullet WON'T slip thru, that can be fixed for less than $50 per cylinder.

http://www.cylindersmith.com/

:D

dg101win

Single-Sixer
If it was in decent shape and an unconverted Old Model, I would find the $$ to take it home. I bought one like that new in '72 and foolishly let it go in '85. Wish I had it back.

44-357

Single-Sixer
I have a SS 7 1/2 45 colt BH but i may get it if a bullet will pass through.and yes they will let me check it out.

44-357

Single-Sixer
it has a little holster wear but overall its in real good condition. there is turn lines on both cylinders so who had it fired both alot.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
My pre warning NM has .456" throats and so far as I've read that's common in that vintage. Kinda hard to ream! I've also heard that the late cylinders (at least the Bisley) have the tight throats. Are the Bisley chambers tighter too? I'd be interested in finding out when the change from "too big" to "too small" occured. Maybe a nice non fluted Bisley cylinder with it's throats reamed could find a home in my .45? Any thoughts on that flatgate?....Dennis (BTW 44-357, cyl lines don't always mean it's had a lot of use. Could be a lot of "handling")

flatgate

Hawkeye
Bucks Owin":1o44e279 said:
Maybe a nice non fluted Bisley cylinder with it's throats reamed could find a home in my .45?

As long as it's the right length or a bit too long it would be a good choice!

It's tough to stretch a cylinder....
The front bushing can be made longer but getting the barrel to cylinder gap to be properly snug can lead to "refitting" the barrel.

Easy stuff for the qualified shop....

flatgate

Latest posts