Old Threads Renewed?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've noticed with this new format that a lot of old threads a year or more old are being renewed and brought back up. Obviously because of the link to 'Similar' threads at the bottom... is this a good thing or. a bad thing? I've clicked on several and started to comment and then realized this seems familiar and looked back and saw that I've already commented on it a year ore so ago....

Edit: now I'm looking at the list of Similar Threads below this one and trying to figure out how this forum's software comes up with them:
Intruders, (can't figure it out),
Old men with old t-shirts, (I resemble that one I have to admit),
Old Winchester lever question.... well there is an off color joke I could make about that one even though my name is not Winchester,
Smoking Brisket.... I suspect most software developers are smoking something other than Brisket,
How Rich is Rich? Well that ain't me.... but I do pretend to be one on the internet.

Last edited:
I think you are correct with some of the 'new' members they go back, look see, and to them it is ALL "new" stuff, and in their 'wheelhouse'...glad some do pay attention and go back so it is NOT "forgotten"....miss the "read the books" or like some of the inmate run forums, "RTFM"........yikes:cool::rolleyes:;)

It does get a little confusing. I’ve started to look at the dates now before reading or replying to any thread.

Question: does everyone get the same suggestions for “Similar threads” or does it change based upon your participation and input in different threads?

vito

Hunter
This thread made me laugh because I have more than once added a comment to an old but now resurrected thread only to see that I am repeating what I said in a comment years ago.

The good thing about all of this is that we are gaining new members, or so it seems, and that helps keep the forum alive and well. I have been part of other forums where over the years the participation seems to get down to a smaller and smaller, and older and older, group of people and activity starts to grind slowly to a halt. Of all the forums that I participate in, this is by far the best and would be the most missed.

I suspect mostly new members searching a topic and finding a link to this sight. Now that new people can sign up again, they do so and post something. People as a whole not to good at looking at dates of threads.

hittman

Staff member
Also, the search feature works for the first time in years. So, you get a newbie member / first time Ruger owner who maybe inherited a gun ….. he joins, immediately searches and gets thread(s) from the way back.

I see a thread I started in 2011was recently brought back from the dead. (y)

I wasn't really complaining and I doubt Pat in Co was either... just thinking about it. Seems most of us 'veterans' have figured out to first look at the original date of the thread..... then again I have to look over the whole thing to see if I've made a comment on it.... I usually can't remember if I had or what I said.

37fed

Single-Sixer
I find it helpful fora new member like me. I am on here to learn and I read a current topic, then see a related topic below, read it and learn more. I did post to some old ones before I realized the deal with the dates. May annoy longtime members but there is content here for everybody. I guess you could lock topics after a month if it’s a bad thing. I don’t see it as a bad thing.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
It could be useful IF it were more tightly focused for threads directly on the same topic . As it is currently , not so much

Latest posts