Old style single six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hillmillenia

Bearcat
I have aquired an old style single six (3-screw)It has the fixed-dove-tailed type rear sight and the ramp type front sight that is screwed in place...as opposed to a soldered blade. The gun is a mess. spent some time muzzle down in a wet box and when I got it, the cylinders were rusted, the barrel is missing about an inch off the muzzle (been cut off) and the aluminum grip-frame is corroded. I have been collecting parts for a rebuild but the barrel will need replacing...will a new style barrel fit?. The gun is currently disassembled and I had to bead blast it (glass beads) so yeah it will never be a collector's item but I think it would make a great shooter. I have found the grip frames around and am looking for one of those brass ones...apparently they aren't making them anymore? Thanks for any help you guys can offer. Someday I might post a picture of it...unless you really wanna see it now "(

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, if my memory is correct,, I do believe a newer barrel will work on your shooter.
As for brass grip frames,, you might be able to find an aftermarket one,, but you'll have to modify it if it's for a NM. The modification is for the trigger return spring. It's an easy mod in that you make a piece to fit in the slot behind the trigger, drill a hole for the spring,, and a cross hole for a retaining pin, (using the hole where the NM trigger spring would go.) There is a link to one of these around here somewhere.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I'd find a "period correct" barrel. They are "out there". Some of the parts places like Lee's in Texas probably have them.

flatgate

I have a couple of those RSS barrels sitting here, but no front sight blade ( used them LONG ago, but a newer style ,will fit and work,both barrels are "mint" early roll mark address,no "INC" if you are interested I will let one go for $50 and pay all the freight......let me know,better to send me an e-mail............

hillmillenia

Bearcat
rugerguy,
I really appreciate your bringing that to my attention. Check is in the mail...and being a tinkerer as opposed to a real gunsmith, I'll have to find a way to actually change the barrels out...should be a learning experience :)...I did find the front sight blades at Brownell's for 7 bucks..and I'm down the street from Champlin firearms, JJ is a great guy and he'll do blueing for me but they custom build safari grade rifles that probably sell for upwards of 50 grand, I don't think I can afford his smithing services... :roll:

the barrel is on its way, no you will not have to 'blue' this barrel, its about 'perfect'.........and those front sights just "press" in.......
as for swapping the barrel out, there are 'tools available for the proper removal, but to buy the set, it may just be cheaper to have a GOOD smith do the job,,,call around and get a few prices......

hillmillenia

Bearcat
Dan,
I got that barrel today! Man you weren't kidding, it looks new. Thank you again. Come the day I actually finish this project, I'll post pictures here. Again, much appreciated.
Cliff