Old Stiletto Dagger with Bone or Horn Handle and Six-Sided Blade

Help Support Ruger Forum:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I've always had some questions about this dagger ever since I picked it up at an arms & armor auction maybe 15 years ago. The six sided blade was described as inflicting terrific damage since the puncture wound would not naturally close up. It was attributed to European origin and estimated to be from around the 16th century, likely as a woman's concealed defense weapon. My biggest concern with believing the age aspect is that it is in remarkable condition and the blade is mirror polished with no tarnish or rust (colors/patterns on the blade in the pics are just reflections). The blade and the guard are both ferrous and a magnet will stick. The guard does have some light oxidation to it. The fancy business on the handle behind the guard is non-ferrous and has the look of tarnished silver. The scabbard is also non-ferrous but with a frosted yellowish cast to it, possibly a brass/nickel alloy. I have not tried any kind of hot pin testing on the handle but it does appear to be horn. A strong magnet does have some attraction up the handle indicating the tang runs pretty deep into the handle. The pattern on the butt is not perfectly symmetrical, so does look nicely hand carved. The blade is 4-3/8" tip to hilt and the overall length is 8-1/2". I took a pic looking into the scabbard to show the corresponding six sides to the blade.

Any info would be appreciated.

Stiletto-1.JPG

Stiletto-2.JPG

Stiletto-3.JPG

Stiletto-4.JPG

I don't have any answers, but I'm curious with the six sides to the blade, are there any sharp knife like edges to it? Or is it more of just a thrusting, stabbing weapon?

It also sort of doubts like you doubt the age? Do you think it's a replica?

It's a very interesting weapon that's for sure. Thanks for the pictures.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Wow that knife is interesting. Certainly looks like a real pig sticker from another era. Love to know it's age and where made.

toysoldier

Hunter
My guess is a Victorian reproduction; old, but not original to the period of its style. In all the books on arms and armor I have read (and that's quite a few), I have never seen a hexagonal blade. The tale about wounds not closing up from triangular (or hexagonal) blades is BS. That's a very nice addition to a collection.

I'm no real help,and am even a bit confused. 3 sided ( triangular ) blades were common, sometimes with a twist added for maximum damage.. Six sided and symetrical would actually do less damage ( Relatively speaking of course. Still nasty as hell.). The only time I have seen that sort of design work was on knives I was shown from India, but the blade and sheath are throwing me off.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
looks like a poniard or parrying dagger from the Renaissance Period (?). Used in the left hand while fencing.

DSC01380.jpg

Latest posts