old single six- grip frame question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ed333

Bearcat
Looking at an old 3 screw single six; reading the blue book , I see a deduction called for in the 5.5inch barrel model if it has an XR3-RED grip frmae rather than an XR-3 frame. Newbie questions:
1- what is the difference? and
2- Why the different value?

The XR3 was the original configuration.

In late 1962 the XR3-RED (for redesigned) was introduced, with a very slightly different profile. It allowed a very small increase in the distance between the front of the grip frame and the rear of the trigger guard, and a subtle flare down the backstrap.

The different value is driven by the fact that the XR3 is the original and older, while the XR3-RED is the current style. To a collector, this has some significance.

;)

street

Hunter
Ed333":3qn2s4z9 said:
Looking at an old 3 screw single six; reading the blue book , I see a deduction called for in the 5.5inch barrel model if it has an XR3-RED grip frmae rather than an XR-3 frame. Newbie questions:
1- what is the difference? and
2- Why the different value?

First thing forget about the blue book. You need a price reference that specializes in Rugers. Let me suggest RENE.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=30544

I think the Blue Book just groups all XR3 together, and all XR3-RED together because it is easy and simple. A XR3 type I Flatgate is worth a lot more then a late XR3, 5 1/2 in. Single-Six. That is the reason to forget the Blue Book and get the RENE.