Old School Cool

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cubrock

Blackhawk
For the last few years, I have had a real weakness for older custom handguns. I am thoroughly intrigued by what the custom gunsmiths from the 50s and earlier turned out, often on platforms that we now consider too collectible to "ruin" by customizing. I ran across another such gem at a recent show.

It is a Remington 1867 Navy Rolling Block pistol, heavily customized and refinished. The cyanide color case points to the 50s or earlier as the likely timeframe of the customization. The smith did not sign his work, which is a pity. It is a fine job and I would love to have that piece of its history to preserve with it.

He rebarreled the gun and made a very fine set of custom stocks for it. He recontoured the rear grip strap to put a knuckle at the top to help keep it from rolling too much in recoil. With the custom stocks, it feels very much like a Colt Bisley in the hand, which doesn't surprise me given the Bisley was designed for target work. This, no doubt, someone's target gun in one of the grand target calibers of a bygone era. The smith also checkered the trigger and opening latch, also moving the latter to the side so it didn't interfere with the adjustable rear sight.

The trigger is very crisp - it breaks with no discernable creep. It is also just light enough to be a fine target trigger and just heavy enough to not go off with a breath, which suits me perfectly.

remrb44russianleft.jpg

remrb44russianrt.jpg

remrb44russianbreechclosed.jpg

The sights are really neat. The rear is kind of a simplified version of Pre-War S&W target sights. The front sight is beautifully done and provides a very clear picture with no glare.

remrb44russianrearsighttop.jpg

remrb44russianrearsightrt.jpg

remrb44russianfrontsightrt.jpg

But, what sold me was the caliber:

remrb44russiancalstamp.jpg

In the Rolling Block action, the possibilities are open wide to wring out of the .44 Russian everything a sane person might want to wring out of it, power wise. It will be fun to work loads up for it, both target and some for hunting. With the locked breech and 10 inch barrel, I expect to get velocities more than adequate for the small deer of NC. I do hope to bag an animal with this gun in time. The question of an appropriate holster will take some serious mulling over. My gunshow buddy and I were opining that a Doc Holliday rig would be fun for it.

I can't wait to shoot it. I took it to the range recently, but forgot to bring my one partial box of old Remington .44 Russian ammo. I did find Track of the Wolf had Starline .44 Russian brass for under $100 shipped for 500, which pleased me greatly. Most places wanted more AND were out of stock. I look forward to receiving it and perhaps finding some vintage molds to try with the gun as well.

Overall, one of the neatest finds in my collecting career. Hope you enjoyed sharing it with me.