old ruger pistols

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

i have a single six 22, made in '55 it has a flatgate loading gate and plastic grips.

i also have a MK 1 with the longer heaver berral, small ser # , and no prefix.
the eagle is on the opposit grip from other mk's, and the mag slot in the handle is also on the opposit side from other mks.

id like to know about these guns, how rare are they ? anything special ?
what are these worth ?

A

Anonymous

both pre 68. no prefix, no warning stamped on the berral.

the revolver has plastic grips and a flat gate,
the MK1 has the eagle on the oposit side of the grips and the mag slot is opposit from other mks also.

Chance

Buckeye
First welcom to the forum seth_wyo

The grips on the flatgate are not plastic, actually they are Hard Rubber. This is just an example of the difficulty that can arise in describing an older Ruger. If you provide serial #s, 109xx for example, the very knowledgeable folks here will be able to privide you with an amazing amount of information.

A flatgate made in 1955 (serial #s10734 to 31856) could be any one of 3 Types with varying values. That's why ddd482 asked for a SN.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Many folks think they've provided enough info at times, but it's the serial number,, along with certain minor features that make all the differences. You can post part of the serial number, (Example 123XX) and we can offer more help.
Next, as mentioned,, there are a few different "Types" of Flatgates,, so it's critical to be able to know which type you have. Again,, the serial number is the best place to start.
The older semi's are also subject to certain differences. Adjustable sights? Fixed sights? Barrel length? It does sound like you have an earlier framed semi,, but don't sweat it,, newere magazines can be used by just switching the follower button from one side to the other.
Lastly,, the condition is also very important. As is having the original boxes & paperwork. All this goes to value. Pictures help a BUNCH!
So,, we'll gladly help,, if we have more info!

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey I vote for $10,000.....seems fair to me :D :D :D just a little more if ya have a box :lol: :lol: :lol: Hey Just funnin ya.....we need MORE INFO and remember condition, condition, and condition REALLY effects the price.......was told about a pitted, dented, and big cylinder lined 17xxx RSS Flatgate spotted at a small show in MN this weekend and the guy was firm at $600......GOSH I should have asked more for the 2 NICE ones I released in TULSA :shock: :shock: :shock: Welcome to RF where no one is willing to share their opinion :? :? :? see ya RR.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Here's s/n 32002, owner fitted with the optional walnut grips....

102015927.jpg

To evaluate your Single-Six we need more data. Ejector button type? Ejector housing type? (short or long slot)

Of course, two or three detailed images would go a long way toward an accurate value estimate. Chet15's wide spread of values is the result of his consideration of the fact that the revolver may be an engraved example, perhaps?

47449442.jpg

This one, in the 30XXX s/n range, sure has pretty grips.......

flatgate

radicalrod":3l7l97i4 said:
Hey I vote for $10,000.....seems fair to me :D :D :D just a little more if ya have a box :lol: :lol: :lol: Hey Just funnin ya.....we need MORE INFO and remember condition, condition, and condition REALLY effects the price.......was told about a pitted, dented, and big cylinder lined 17xxx RSS Flatgate spotted at a small show in MN this weekend and the guy was firm at $600......GOSH I should have asked more for the 2 NICE ones I released in TULSA :shock: :shock: :shock: Welcome to RF where no one is willing to share their opinion :? :? :? see ya RR.

no-one can give a fair & honest or even a proper opinion with out more info or at least seeing the gun...all else is hearsay and subjective...see too many guys with a "bit of false" information, want the earth ,moon ,sun and sky for guns that are NOT worth ANYWHERE near what they are worth, let alone even being in the same ball park as to just what they have to offer. :wink:

WmG is close with his estimate,though it may NOT even fall with in the range, we just don't know......... :roll:

A

Anonymous

So no one wants to talk about anything conserning these pistols Except the dollar value ?

i hoped someone would have more of an interest in these rather rare pistols, Not money.

the Mk 1 does have a serial #.every ruger has one of those.
but the thing about this one is that the eagle is on the opposit grip from every other ruger Mk iv ever seen, and iv owned several and seen several more. and the magazine is 'opposit' also.

mabey these features on a mk, and a single six with plastic grips and a flat gate are not important ?

iv looked up the numbers in the ruger book, it tells the year they wore made, and the value according to condition, and nothing more, not any mention about the differnt features these ones have.

i dont have a camera, or i would share some pictures of them

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey Seth, one of your questions was "what are these worth"......and as stated it is really hard to do without seeing said guns....

ALL early Single Sixes thru 61xxx or so had plastic grips and flat loading gates so this is not an uncommon gun to be found.....

The auto frame was also changed from the earlier style to what you have described and I believe stayed that way thru the MKII....again a not uncommon auto as thousands were made.....

Check on Ebay for a few of the reference books that are available and you will find all the info one could ever hope to need and then some.....

I hope you don't think we were picking on you......AH what the heck....we were :lol: :lol: :lol: we all started just like you ...full of questions....see ya, RR.

nah, we were not, it was all pointed out to you ,above, need MORE "detailed" info ( the serial numbers are a more "exact" time frame...of course they ALL have serial numbers ( or at least better have) but this is how we can better judge the guns you have...MORE details, and yes pictures certainly would help, sorry but as I said with out this info or better yet having "seen or handled..." said guns, cannot make ANY judgement or tell you what you even have??????sorry don't know what else to tell you, as 'WmG' said above ONLY the price range we can do..otherwise, they be be rare or common, have NO clue...we are NOT "magicians"..............
details, details, details....................

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
I guess he took offense judging by his guest status...Sure wish he would have rode it out simply because I still don't think he had any clue what we were asking of him and why. Can't say we didn't try.

Oh well...his loss

chet15

Hawkeye
seth_wyo":2kx5w50e said:
i have a single six 22, made in '55 it has a flatgate loading gate and plastic grips.

i also have a MK 1 with the longer heaver berral, small ser # , and no prefix.
the eagle is on the opposit grip from other mk's, and the mag slot in the handle is also on the opposit side from other mks.

id like to know about these guns, how rare are they ? anything special ?
what are these worth ?

We don't mean to insult anybody's intelligence here...there's just way too many factors to take into consideration before anybody can give you an accurate assessement of "rarity, anything special or what they are worth".

Everybody wants to know they have a goldmine in something old, and you may have (we don't know yet). But if your guns are like 95% of the guns out there that you describe, both of your examples are pretty common.

The medallion was on the left panel of Ruger's auto grips into the 11- prefix of serial numbering (1949 to about 1971 or 1972), but we're still covering a half-dozen different variations there in the model that I believe you have (6-7/8" tapered barrel with adjustable rear sight???).
For that model you could have a red eagle, you could have a black eagle with normal bolt ears, a black eagle with tapered ears (flat on top or flat on bottom) or you might even have a "D" duplicate prefixed serial number. All of these add premiums to the value of your gun.

The serial number is the best start...you don't have to give us the whole sn, just most of it...nobody's going to try to take your guns. And condition would also help...amount of wear on the left side of the barrel, ejector housing etc. Are your guns boxed etc???
Like everybody mentioned...not enough info. Anybody can go by the blue book prices, but you may really have something rare and unique.
Chet15

sethwyo

Bearcat
I took the mk1 to a person at a gunshow who claims to know much of old guns, he told me the eagle on the left grip was someting so rare it wusnt even in the ruger book, and as it wusnt in his or my ruger book, this made sense. the opposit magazine, opposit that is, from anyother mk iv ever used was strange too, at the time.

Iv never believed the pistoles wore terribly valuable, worth more than the few hundred i payed for both, but not a 'gold mine'

the problem iv always had with most everyone iv taken them to has been the same with most of the people who have posted here, "you think they are worth a lot but they arnt !!! " they only want to talk about the dollar value, not the guns themselves. Can we only have an interest in guns IF they are worth their weight in gold ???
its like a mini i have thats an american bicentennial, it has to be one of the first ones released to the public in '76. But, when i have inquired of this, they all shreek " That dont make it worth nothin !!!"
they dont understand something that can be 'personaly special' only the dollar value, " If it isnt worth money, it isnt worth anything" they declair.

so plastic grips, flatgates, and the eagle on the left side are the norm for ruger too toos from those years. that would have wrapped it up to begin with.

ddd482

Single-Sixer
just post pics- it would really help - if this is really a rare gun, the guys on this forum will let you know- this really is THE place to get your questions answered-

chet15

Hawkeye
sethwyo":1txjgnu4 said:
so plastic grips, flatgates, and the eagle on the left side are the norm for ruger too toos from those years. that would have wrapped it up to begin with.

Yup.
Checkered black rubber grips were standard equipment on the Single-Six until the end of 1959, and beyond that to the end of 1962 on special order only (walnut was standardized). Probably 150,000 to 160,000 Single-Sixes shipped with hard rubber grips.
Flatgate Single-Sixes were made from 1953 to March 1957...about 62,000 steel framed guns in four different variations and two different variations of alloy framed Lightweight Single-Sixes (again, add a premium).
And the medallion was on the left grip of all .22 autos until 1971 or 1972. This is when Ruger went to the A100 grip frame...with the double slotted type magazine, which moved the grip medallion to the right grip panel and the magazine button to the left side, although this type of double slotted magazine could also be used with the earlier type of grip frame by just switching the button to the other side. Several hundred thousand Ruger pistols made from 1949 to 1971 or 1972 look like this.
At just about any gun show you go to...find a gun serial numbered 11-40000 and earlier (non prefix guns included also) and they look identical to yours.
There's a lot of knowledge on this forum...we could be of even more help to you.
Somebody on this forum may even have a gun consecutively serial numbered with one of yours (again...add a premium). I know because I've matched a bunch of them up with a lot of RF members' guns.
Chet15

sethwyo":2487fvv2 said:
I took the mk1 to a person at a gunshow who claims to know much of old guns, he told me the eagle on the left grip was someting so rare it wusnt even in the ruger book, and as it wusnt in his or my ruger book, this made sense. the opposit magazine, opposit that is, from anyother mk iv ever used was strange too, at the time.

rugerguy:
((( I say that the majority of the folks here on the Forum, know MORE about Rugers than any one person at ANY gun showe or gun shop that we have seen )))

the problem iv always had with most everyone iv taken them to has been the same with most of the people who have posted here, "you think they are worth a lot but they arnt !!! " they only want to talk about the dollar value, not the guns themselves. Can we only have an interest in guns IF they are worth their weight in gold ???
its like a mini i have thats an american bicentennial, it has to be one of the first ones released to the public in '76. But, when i have inquired of this, they all shreek " That dont make it worth nothin !!!"
they dont understand something that can be 'personaly special' only the dollar value, " If it isnt worth money, it isnt worth anything" they declair

rugerguy:
((Again, I say "untrue",we talk about variations much more than dollar values))

((sorry ,again, too many variables and changes to guns ,some by their owners, or sellers ,over the years, to make a proper distinction ,without MORE information))

hey we try, and none of us ,is a 'miracle worker'.............