Old Remington 12-c

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oldies

Single-Sixer
Was asked if I could shed some light on this old Rem.22 and I
haven't a clue. Ser#422XXX. Wood is a little dinged, but all there.
Some pitting. Bore looks like it will clean up ok. Anyone know
when this one was born. and how many made? And, of course
the approximate value?

Thanks,
oldies
12-C003.jpg

12-C001.jpg

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
Rem. Model 12 made fromm 1901 to 1936. Model 12c was a target model. About 832,000 produced from #00001 to #820,759.

I've got a 572, but toysoldier has one. He might know more about it. I bet if you cleaned and lubed it up; it'll be one of the most accurate guns you ever shot. They're tough too. Remington pump .22s are the bomb-diggity!

toysoldier

Hunter
The 12-C was the fanciest, with a crescent butplate, pistol grip, and octagon barrel. May have had a receiver peep sight, that's what the two small screws are for. The sight's a peculiar thing, and terribly expensive if you can find one.
Go to RimfireCentral.com, to the Remington section. They have a sticky on barrel date codes.
Use a coin to unscrew the takedown screw on the side of the receiver, pull the screw out as far as it will go, and the rifle breaks down (usually tight---you'll have to thump it). Next, to remove the bolt, with the rifle upside down and the slide back, depress the little button on the slide just in front of the receiver. The slide will now go back far enough to allow the breechbolt to drop into a recess and disconnect from the slide. You can then clean the barrel straight through.

These old guns accumulate crud in every recess. Use a penetrating spray to loosen stuff, then toothpicks to dig out the crud, particularly around the breech. I don't recommend disassembling the trigger mechanism, just soak it thououghly and dig out all the crud you can. Soak and clean the bolt, too. dig out around the breech face and under the extractor.

Wipe everything clean, apply your favorite lube, reassemble, and have fun. These are the snappiest pump ever made, and with a good bore shoot very well.

oldies

Single-Sixer
Earlier I had thought the bore would clean up, But after a
couple dozen passes down the bore with a solvent laden brush,
it appears to be beyond help. Looks like the surface of the moon
in there. Am thinking he'll need to relegate this little rimfire
to heirloom status. That is ok too. Guns are great for what they
were as well as what they are now.

oldies

Hi dont give up on it I have one you could not even see the rifeling in I wore out 3 brushes in it I pushed out chunks of rifling and it still shoots good shoot it till it fouls up some you might be surprised I own 3 mod 12s they were all abused barn guns and they all shoot good have fun with it

GRAMPS

Flash

Buckeye
I owned a Model 25 which was 25-20 and the throat looked terrible but it shot better than I could. you should run some ammo through it before deciding on relining it.

toysoldier

Hunter
Have you used a lead remover? I spent over an hour clearing the barrel on my 12-C, even using OOOO styeel wool. Still looks bad, but could be used, with adequate accuracy.