Old pic,,, now an old pfhart

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
As I was digging into my old pics,, I came across a few I'll share. Here's one of me back about 1978 in a position I used to bootleg flt time in.

co-pilot.jpg

Good photo. I wish I would have taken more.

I, also, crewed Slicks, (and others), and my Pilots were great at giving me a whole bunch of stick time. They figured it was in their best interest that the CE might be able to help them out in a pinch. :?

See ya.
WAYNO.

44-357

Single-Sixer
I was at Ft Hood in 1984 but i was in 2nd AD not 1st CAV and was on a tank. but did get to ride in the Hueys great machine.

dbarale

Obsolete
Great picture!
I just love the sound of a Huey coming over the horizon. For anyone who's served (in most western armies) in the past 50 years it's the sound of "going home"...

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
The chopping of a twin blade Huey is an unforgettable sound, no doubt; but the sound of a four blade Huey is amazing! The Swedes are using a four blade version that I saw while serving in Kosovo. Personally if I had to go somewhere I'd take a Blackhawk, but Hueys are like old cars and fun to take out for a ride every once in a while.

americal

Hunter
Great photo :!: The sound of a Huey never leaves my mind for long :( brings back both good & bad memories. I have the greatest respect for someone who could fly one of those great machines 8) I was only good at stop the bleeding :) treat for shock :) talk to them if possible :!: give morphine :? don't forget to put morphine tube on the person who got it :!: get dust off :!: pop a smoke-- secure area--- dont get shot or step on booby trap placed near first trap :shock: if that was the situation :? try to get a salem cool & a coke in if everything went right :)I still don't know how ya'll flew those things :lol:

americal":raj8i5gt said:
Great photo :!: The sound of a Huey never leaves my mind for long :( brings back both good & bad memories. I have the greatest respect for someone who could fly one of those great machines 8) I was only good at stop the bleeding :) treat for shock :) talk to them if possible :!: give morphine :? don't forget to put morphine tube on the person who got it :!: get dust off :!: pop a smoke-- secure area--- dont get shot or step on booby trap placed near first trap :shock: if that was the situation :? try to get a salem cool & a coke in if everything went right :)I still don't know how ya'll flew those things :lol:

I never claimed I could fly one. :roll: I only professed to having a lot of stick time. :wink:

One of my pilots told me of how when he was in flight school, and not yet proficient enough to be comfortable with the stick, he would be in envy of his instructors who would hold the stick between their knees, while lighting a cigarette. Then, one day, everything clicked, and this pilot was able to fly straight and level. I was a little short of that day, where everything might have clicked. I could get the helicopter going in the basic direction we needed to go, but it was not much different than riding in a kiddies roller-coaster.

WAYNO.

velvalco

Single-Sixer
I didn't serve, but i wanted to take the opportunity to thank you gentlemen for your services, and my freedom.

contender

Ruger Guru
I was like wayno,, never quite got it all to "click",, especially hovering. I had a CW4 who kept on teaching me how to just use my thumb,,, !

velvalco":3202zf4g said:
I didn't serve, but i wanted to take the opportunity to thank you gentlemen for your services, and my freedom.

Ya know...I'm touched to pieces when somebody says that to me. So much so that my reply is usually, "thank you", back. Thank You.

And, Contender... Didja ever get to ride in the front seat of a Cobra? That little bitty cyclic? Ya just think of moving that thing and you'd think you were gonna loop, or barrel roll. :lol:

WAYNO.

contender

Ruger Guru
I too feel a bit awkward when someone thanks me for my service. I served at a time we were not "at war" anywhere. Just right after 'Nam. But,, I too "thank you" for your kind words.

Wayno,, Oh yes,, front seat in the Cobra,,, I just wish I had pics of the few times I got to do that! Unfortunately,, we were never armed,, when I went up,,! (I'd been courtmarshalled for sure!) And yes,, the cyclic is sensative in them. I had one fly over the house a few days ago, heard it coming,, knew it's sound,, & when it passed over,, I just smiled,,,,,!

White Willie

Bearcat
I too thank you guys for your service. The closest I was able to get to enlisting, and then being drafted, was taking the physical. A bad back kept me out. This was in 1962.

ltbarber

Bearcat
contender":3a2we67r said:
Lt,, were you stationed at Ft Hood by chance???
I was stationed at Ft. McClellan, AL. I was an MP,and handled a case for one of the crew chiefs. I was,and still am,totally helicopter-crazy. They allowed me to crew-chief on my days off from being an MP. I did training flights,combat orientation flights,ROTC flights,etc. Pilots let me get some stick time. I loved it. One of the high points of my life. They only flew with one pilot on these missions. The crew chiefs were tired of flying,so they loved it when I would help out. :D :D :D

Latest posts