Old Model Super Single Six 4 5/8"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I own one that I 99.99% believe is legitimate, but is not on the list. I also recently saw another sell that wasn't on the list. Is anyone keeping an on-going record of these serial numbers?

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

The best way to determine what it is,, would be to get the $10 letter from Ruger. Then you can determine the correct value. That, and if it's not on the list,, then it can be added as a verified one.
As for who's keeping the lists,, I'm not sure about that one.

Welcome to the Forum!

The best way to determine what it is,, would be to get the $10 letter from Ruger. Then you can determine the correct value. That, and if it's not on the list,, then it can be added as a verified one.
As for who's keeping the lists,, I'm not sure about that one.
I got the letter from Ruger. Doesn't state it shipped as a 4 5/8". However, everything else is correct. Including some additional paperwork that came with it.

contender

Ruger Guru
I hate to say it,, but I agree with hittman. Somebody cut the barrel. Not an uncommon thing. Custom work has been done to guns since the very first ones were built.

As a collector,, if I bought the gun, and it had been advertised as a 4-5/8" bbl & then got the letter, I'd be upset if I paid a premium for it.

As rugerguy likes to quote; "Buy the gun, not the story."

Possible someone cut it. But, it was manufactured when the known serial numbers were produced, and it's within that group of numbers. In addition, I don't think if someone just wanted a shorter barrel, they would cut it to that specific length. More likely it would be 4.75" or 5". Either way, I didn't pay any extra for it.

hittman

Staff member
What is this "group of numbers" you refer to?

It's a nice gun either way.

yes lots of guns in any of the "'time frames" BUT the factory letter tells all that what it shipped as ( catalog number), they do not keep or if they did, doNOT tell anyone any "service work, returns, customizing" and believe me we have cut and set back the sights on many Super Single Sixes over the years as they are the "easiest and simplest" to actually cut, and replace the front sight NO need too pull or even reblue the barrel..., as well as locate the front sight hole using the holes already in the gun,,to find "top dead center"....nice gun either way and you done alright....if you had the origina;l box the label says it all.........Merry Christmas(y)

chet15

Hawkeye
There was one that recently sold at the Amoskeag auction, property of a former employee who started at the Newport foundry in about 1963.
It was a 502xxx range gun. Can't say this individual wouldn't have had access to something like that.... but, the extra picture of the muzzle cutoff showed round circular cutoff marks, not flat with marks that look like it was cut with a bandsaw.
Not sure who ended up with that one... hope they can get a letter on it, but I'm not counting on that one. It was not in the list either.
The reason I say he had an opportunity to get one of those is because an engineer by the name of Stan Terhune is the one who hired him... something like 3rd employee at Pine Tree Castings. Stan and Henry both had collector sense. When Stan's collection came up at major auction there was an SC4 in that auction as well, but that serial number was on the list and does letter as SC4.
Without a letter saying SC4... probably S.O.L.
Chet15

I was in on that one until it got too high. Not to smack a deceased equine, but I guess my point is, this one has the same ship month as the "official" ones. I think it's more than coincidental that someone had that exact month, then shortened it to that length.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I saw that supposed SC4 as well as the supposed .357/9mm no-prefix 4-5/8" Blackhawk and stayed away from both. I actually got Ruger to confirm by phone that the convertible was bogus, shipped as a BKH34 (no X).

My consolation prize was Stan Terhune's SSM9 with the 650-03030 number, a gun he was given because Ruger accidentally shipped his 650-00030. At the first auction in 2008, I was out of money by the time that SSM9 came up. This time, I got it for $100 less than it sold for in 2008, but in the mean time it was separated from its shipping sleeve.

hittman

Staff member
Some pics of this gun barrel sides, muzzle and front site would be interesting to see.

I saw that supposed SC4 as well as the supposed .357/9mm no-prefix 4-5/8" Blackhawk and stayed away from both. I actually got Ruger to confirm by phone that the convertible was bogus, shipped as a BKH34 (no X).

My consolation prize was Stan Terhune's SSM9 with the 650-03030 number, a gun he was given because Ruger accidentally shipped his 650-00030. At the first auction in 2008, I was out of money by the time that SSM9 came up. This time, I got it for $100 less than it sold for in 2008, but in the mean time it was separated from its shipping sleeve.
Mine is an SC6, no X. But the letter shows both cylinders.

chet15

Hawkeye
I see there's a 512xxx range 4-5/8" Super Single-Six coming up on proxibid auction pretty soon.
It has a flattop cylinder frame, flattop "MICRO" marked rear sight with the round mortise front and is chambered for .32. The rollmark on the left side of the cylinder frame was also altered very nicely.
Chet15