old model single - six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

j.r. ruger guy

Bearcat
couple of my o.m. single sixes , just thought i would share. i was pretty excited coming home with this flatgate :wink:
100_1645.jpg

j.r. ruger guy

Bearcat
thank you sir, yes the ejector rod is serrated- serial # 2016x , this might sound dumb - but i'm gonna ask , what would i look for in a type 1 flatgate? or does it just go by an earlier serial number?
jim

oregon73

Blackhawk
j.r. ruger guy":2drmw8oe said:
thank you sir, yes the ejector rod is serrated- serial # 2016x , this might sound dumb - but i'm gonna ask , what would i look for in a type 1 flatgate? or does it just go by an earlier serial number?
jim

If you want to get to the level of Type 2 this and Type 1 that, you need to buy the books! Dougan's are a good place to start.

I looked in my book and the only difference I saw (at first glance) between a Type 1 and Type 2 Single Six is the ejector rod housing.

This is way beyond what I normally think about when I think about Rugers. I'm a more general accumulator rather than a die-hard collector. I like old models. So if I've made an error, I'm sure it will be pointed out.

That's a nice pair of sixguns you got there, by the way!

Rob

americal

Hunter
Guys just something about those single sixes :lol: they feel so different than the BIG centerfire Rugers :? when I help my friend ever so often rub down all his Rugers o.m.'s the single six fells so neat in your hand :) I like the BIG bores to :) but JUST SOMETHING about those early single sixes 8) AM I CRAZY :?:

the only difference from the type I is the front sight was "smooth" up until about the 2000 serialnumber range, and then they put the ones on that have the 'cross' lines on the front, rounded edge........then if you look at the books, they will relate the other changes, in the typeIII and the type IV, whick again, are only the ejector "parts" housing and the rod it self...this rod was one of the first things to change as folks felt that the small ; serrations, enabled ones finger to slide( slip) off during ejection....so went to a larger rounded diameter, but had a 'dimple' in the front...THEN when it comes to lessening the cost of making "stuff" big business cuts out any and all "extra" steps in the manufacturing process.....so instead of a "off set" in the housing, they made it simple 'straight' slot..........and cut out the "dimple" just made it 'flat".............alll very simple and easy to follow....
so there you have it the 4 basic variations of the RSS 'flatgate'....the BOOKs will help and telll you about "when" ( at what serial number ) these changes take place....BUT the are always "exceptions" as parts is parts and can get put on inANY semblance of order, at any given time, let alone swapped out by the guns owner at any time..........SSOOOOO, subjective........

LaVerne Dratt

Bearcat
According to Mr. Dougan, guns up to approximately SN 2000 have a flat breech face, smooth front sight and a frame legend with no hyphen between SINGLE and SIX....Later variants are marked SINGLE-SIX...Thus, Type 1's are marked SINGLE (no hyphen) SIX...

Stoots

Buckeye
americal":1w8hhn5b said:
Guys just something about those single sixes :lol: they feel so different than the BIG centerfire Rugers :? when I help my friend ever so often rub down all his Rugers o.m.'s the single six fells so neat in your hand :) I like the BIG bores to :) but JUST SOMETHING about those early single sixes 8) AM I CRAZY :?:

Are you crazy?

No. Not at all.

At least not around here, anyway.

:wink:

Nice guns J.R.!

:D