old model single six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

41 Ruger fan

Bearcat
Has anyone ever seen an old model single six with a fourthscrew? I recently bought one that has a fourth lock down type screw right next to the screw below the hammer. I think I have seen this on Smiths before. Ruger's serial number dating page says it is a 1958. Any help would be appreciated.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
FWIW, I think GRAMPS has it right. My OM SS6 is prone to having the hammer pivot screw back out unless I blue loctite it. Wonder what's up with that? :? Dennis

Bucks Owin

Hunter
rugerguy":1j6x4q5x said:
it would have been easier to just polish the hole in the hammer...... :roll:
So you're saying that after many thousands of rds fired since 1967, my OM needs the pivot hole polished? :? I had thought maybe there was some slight alignment problem.....Dennis

Some screws used in mechanisms work loose.

Some don't.

I just keep an eye on the ones in my guns and tighten as required. If I had a particular problem with some, I'd use a little Loctite. Haven't had to so far.

JMHO
:)

if its had LOTS of rounds then it should be pretty 'smooth' ,but never know if there is a burr or oil ( sludge build up causing it to actually turn the pivot screw out)...we see 'rough' burred,hammer holes with 'new' ones or out of round........but as Ale -8 said, some screws will just "work loose' then you can loctite them ( just the very end!!!!! the other screws its near the head ........just where the threads are anyway.
Yes, we have even seen them 'staked' on the left side...so never know what you may come across.........

41 Ruger fan

Bearcat
Thanks for the input. It sounds like whoever owned it before me went to quite a bit of trouble to keep it from backing out but, I guess you never know what you'll find on an old gun.