Old Model Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

greycraig

Bearcat
I picked up what I think is a circa '56-'57 OM SS for 155.00 OTD. Not perfect in looks but functions perfect. Serial is 384XX. No rust pitting but a couple of spots that may have been rubbed with steel wool. About 80% bluing left. Condition is right up my alley for a shooter.

Using snap caps function is crisp, precise and lock up is precise also.

Do I need to make any safety performance or safety upgrades?

I've had a bucket load of .22 handgun and revolvers over the years but no Single Six so I thought at the price I should give one a whirl.

Craig in TN

G2

Hunter
You did good, Clean it and enjoy. 80%, , , ahhhh thats just 20% patina. :D

J Miller

Blackhawk
Nope, the pistol don't need a thing. Just remember to carry it with an empty chamber under the hammer. The hammer rests directly on the firing pin which will be on the rim of round under it.

Load one, skip one, load four, pull the hammer all the way back and lower it. The empty chamber will be under the hammer.

Joe

Chance

Buckeye
Super find. SN makes it a Type 3 Flatgate. I have #38001, they are great shooters and I wouldn't even think of having the conversion done. Enjoy it

greycraig

Bearcat
Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I'm taking my wife shooting at the local range tomorrow and I'll give then OM SS a shake out with various ammo to see what it likes.

Craig in Tennessee

greycraig

Bearcat
Holy Smokes,

That old mdl ss shoots as well for me as any of the good .22s that i have had including a '51 pre-model S&W 17.

Craig