Old Model Single Six question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CaliforniaKid

Bearcat
Picked up and old model single six yesterday with the .22 and .22 wrm cylinders. Magnum cylinder has the last three of the serial number stamped on the front, .22 lr cylinder does not. The grip has a small stamp mark "44 cal" on it and if I look up the serial number (498XXX) its listed as a 1968 Single Six Magnum. My question is did the Single Six Magnum come with a 22 lr cylinder and if so shouldn't it have the serial number on it too? Is it safe to shoot with the 22 lr cylinder? The bluing looks very good, no holster wear and was hoping to get a good plinker but in 22 long rifle. Just concerned because only the mag cylinder has the serial number on it. Any help would be appreciated. :(

welcome to the Forum, the gun you refer to is usually one that is a convertible, and most of the time, the "spare" ( extras) cylinder ,was the one that had the last three serial number digits inscribed on it, either front or back,mostly the front...and yes, at times later, they were BOTH marked.Keeps from getting the cylinders confused with another gun........as long as the cylinder, fits in place,turns, does NOT rub on the rear of the barrel, locks up on ALL 6 chambers when you cock the hammer back, should be OK, good to go...if any doubt, take it to a good gunsmith and have them check it out,better to err on the side of caution...then the proof is in the shooting, of BOTH cylinders.
as for any marking on the grips? could be about anything, they came with walnut, black eagle medallions, with blued hardware ( screw and escutcheons)
Got any pictures?? we all love to see pictures.............
stay tuned and someone will tell you all about "load one, skip one, load, four more and then lower the hammer on the 'empty' chamber"...............after , it is an
old model ( unless you or the previous owner sent it back for the safety update???)

good luck and enjoy,

CaliforniaKid

Bearcat
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/California-Kid1/OldModelSingleSix_zpsd009895b.jpg

Hopefully this works as it really is in remarkable shape. Both cylinders, fit and lock up without dragging and it's good to know only the extra cylinder should be numbered. Thanks again

CaliforniaKid

Bearcat
No it doesn't have the safety update. That's the main reason I bought it. Now to cut down the sear, polish the inards and lighten up the springs and I'm good to go. Thanks for the help.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
CaliforniaKid,

May I inquire as to why you are ready to "Now to cut down the sear, polish the inards and lighten up the springs and I'm good to go."

Also, which "springs" are you going to "lighten up" and how?

I ask only as most Old Model Single Sixes only require a good cleaning and oiling to be a good "good plinker".

To keep no drag lines, always decock from full cock.

SATCOM

FYI the grips are from a New Model as they have stainless steel screw and eschutions.

CaliforniaKid

Bearcat
I prefer a much crisper and lighter trigger. A lighter hammer spring helps quite a bit and that can be accomplished a number of ways, same with the trigger return spring. A number of good gunsmithing books are available if your confident about doing this yourself otherwise pay an expert. Don't re-cut the sear unless your really sure of what your doing.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
CaliforniaKid,

Thanks for your reply. Seems that you know what you are doing. I'm one of those NOT confident and limit myself to polishing all the moving internal parts. That plus cleaning decades of gunk from even the smallest parts and light coat of oil get me to the point of personal satisfaction. I can only imagine how good an Old Model Single Six would be with the extra work you put into yours.

SATCOM