Old model single six no-fire

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
So, i just picked up an old model Super Single Six convertible that has had the safety update, but came to me with the Old model parts installed and the conversion parts in a bag. Took it out behind the shop for a quick test-fire - no go. Tried the Magnum cylinder. Same. Makes a visible dent in the case rim but will not fir a cartridge. Kinda acts like the firing pin itself is too short.
Question : does the conversion kit include a different firing pin? There was not one in the bag of parts. Wondering if there's a difference in firing pins in original vs safety conversion kits.

well for starters, , take the cylinder out of the gun, cock the hammer back and try and push on the rear of the firing pin with a pen, or punch or small screwdriver, and see how much of the pin protrudes out from the hole of the recoil shield, just may have a broken tip ( nose) headspace check for 'fore and aft' movement of the cylinders on the center pin, are they the correct cylinders for that gun???
then check the chambers are they "clean" ?? shells drop in?? if dirty and you have to push them in, not good...........then lastly is it good ammo? seems odd it does the same for either cylinder, tells us its the 'pin' you could flush out the hole in the front of the pin, make sure there is no fouling, debris or "stuff" in there to keep the pin from going forward all the way...it is a floating , inertia type of pin so needs room to move back and forth....other than that it is a process of elimination to see just what else is going on, hammer fall drag, rubbing on the inside of the frame, wrong springs in the gun from the previous owner, and on and on,,,,tough to see it when its not in front of you.........Good luck hard to know when someone else gets their fingers in there and undoes what the factory did.........something could be affecting the lockwork function, hanging up ,dragging, slowing things down...
........any good pistolsmith can tell you pretty quick whats going on,,,they are pretty simple overall....(y)

mirglip

Single-Sixer
It might have an aftermarket hammer spring. I've read that in some rare cases these weaker springs will cause light hammer strikes. Most likely something minor like that. When you get it fixed you will love it.

Yeah, just as a test I tried it with both base pins, won't fire with either. I have another old model SSS and it "feels" like the firing pin protrusion through the recoil shield is more, but I don't have an accurate way to measure it. I'm going to take it apart and have a look at everything internally, but it feels like it's functioning fine and it's clean. I'm suspecting some issue with the firing pin itself. I'll let you know. Thanks for the replies.

contender

Ruger Guru
Re-read Dan's post.
You can't easily remove & replace the firing pin. As such,, use his method of testing to protrusion.
And as noted,, clean the area with a "flush" to hopefully remove any debris that may be keeping the pin from protruding enough.

And since you have another SSS,, try swapping around the hammer spring/strut assy. That can tell you if you have a different spring in it.

Solved the mystery today, or my shooting buddy did - the rear sight was screwed almost all the way down, and the hammer was hitting the portion of the rear sight that holds the blade. I've never run into this before. Raising the rear sight solved the problem, but what am I going to do when I need to lower the rear sight to get it to hit point of aim? Most of my six guns have the rear sight screwed all the way down to get correct sight alignment; some still shoot high even at that. We'll see...
Another issue was noted, too - of the five Remington Golden Bullet .22s I tried after discovering the problem with the rear sight, two refused to fire even with repeat strikes. Federal Auto Match and Aguila were 100%. Anyone want to buy a couple thousand rounds of Remington .22 ammo?

Reload1

Bearcat
I've had problems with Remington standard velocity but the Golden has always worked for me. If you can take that sight screw out just dress down a thread or 2 and see if that will allow it to be all the way down but not impede the firing pin.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I have one box of RGB. I got it during the 2013 shortage. I never used it because it's a 550 qty instead of the more common 525. I prefer CCI.

Good job on finding the issue.

mirglip

Single-Sixer
Thanks for letting us know what the problem was. I have several S6''s and never encountered hammers hitting rear sights or not having enough rear sight elevation adjustment. I suppose you could drive out the pin, remove the rear sight, then file out a notch for the hammer. Then you would have to touch up the aluminum. What I found about the RGB is that they're a little larger in diameter than standard. I had a S6 with oversize chambers and it grouped best with RGB, probably because all other ammo was too loose. Otherwise I hate them. I don't buy any Remington ammo anymore.

notch out the the rear sight blade on the bottom of the "notch" , or replace the front sight ( ha ha) gotta be "custom" or change your "hold" (sight pattern) its always the easiest fastest and cheapest for us to "rehold" ( sight pattern- raise or lower) and this does not affect your guns or the gun of someone else that you may be shooting,,,heck we learned this in the EARLY 1950s....when you get GOOD, and older, you can be concerned about bullet weights, and speeds but thats for another day....:cool::rolleyes:;)

contender

Ruger Guru
"Aren't the Super single six hammers a little shorter to clear the rear sight? Maybe it has a single six hammer installed?"

This was my very first thought when I saw the "problem" explained. It's always possible someone replaced the OM parts with an incorrect hammer type. (Think; factory transfer bar conversion, later reversed.)
Ruger hammers.jpg
Ruger hammers display.jpg

mirglip

Single-Sixer
This discussion got me checking my S6's..... Here is my 3 screw flat top and you can see a hammer scar on the rear sight, at least that's what it looks like. But even if I push down on the rear sight while working the hammer I can't make them contact.
Whats up wit dat?

Attachments

• scar 001.JPG
    scar 001.JPG
    241.8 KB · Views: 68
I just checked the hammer to sight gap on my old model Super Single-Six and it was 1/32" or less.

mirglip That is a old model Super Single-Six in your picture not a flat top. Unless you have had it since new maybe someone put a taller hammer (Single-Six) in it and found out it didn't work.

For the OP. Get the correct hammer, file down existing hammer, correct your sight picture, or file down existing hammer to clear sight. If all of these fail sell gun:)

I'm thinking I'll see where the rear sight needs to be with sights regulated correctly. If that means it won't clear, I'll probably just take a little off the top of the hammer. It could be an incorrect hammer, I suppose - it had been converted, then put back "original". I got the conversion parts with it. It's a pretty nice SSS, has the box, but it will be a shooter. It's a 5.5", so I'll probably leave the .22 WMR cylinder in this one and the long rifle cylinder in its twin 4 5/8".

msp2640

Single-Sixer
Glad you got it sorted out and it didn't need gunsmith attention. Several years ago, I stumbled upon a basically new Marlin Cowboy 45/70 in a LGS. It came home with me and made it to the range about a week later. Much to my dismay, it would not fire - not even a primer strike. Had several types of ammo, no luck. Thinking I was dealing with a broken firing pin and probably why I got a decent deal on it, as I drove home. Took it out of the range case, wiped it down to put it in the safe. I then realized that the cross bolt safety was working perfectly. As it was my 1st with this type of safety, it never occurred to me to look at it. I did get a very good deal on it and it works perfectly! Always wondered if the original owner had the same "issue"! It's embarrassing to admit to it, but it could have been worse if I sent it to Marlin or brought it to a gunsmith! Bill in MA