Old Model Single Six 9 1/2”

Help Support Ruger Forum:

27 Man

Bearcat
My gun show buddy passed away recently and left me his old model Single Six with the 9 1/2" barrel. The factory tells me that they shipped the gun in October of 1962. It is in excellent condition and came with the .22 mag cylinder in it. Unfortunately, he lost the LR cylinder and got another somewhere. I can't get it in the gun. It probably would be out of time too. Factory tells me that they can fix it but I would have to agree to have the action updated but I won't do that. Looks like I got a very nice .22 mag revolver.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
It is foolish not to have the action updated. I sent back twelve dozen OM SA sixguns back in '82 and all but one came back a better gun with a stronger action, AND BETTER PERFORMANCE [ better rounder groups ] than when they left. Furthermore, they send back ALL the action parts numbered to each pistol. That way you can really tag the guy buying your pistol who thinks that is REALLY importent.
And so it goes...

contender

Ruger Guru
That cylinder needs to be measured & checked to see if it can be honed down to fit. As for timing,,, most often,, not an issue. I buy spare cylinders all the time to be added to guns who have lost their spares. Never had a timing issue. BUT,,, to be SURE,, check it with a range rod,,, or by a gunsmith.

loaded round

Hunter
27 man:
Send your Single Six back to Ruger, have them install a new 22 LR cylinder and update your pistol with the new parts. They will will return the original parts in a bag along with your revolver. It's a simple procedure for you to reinstall the original parts if you so desire, or have a local gunsmith install them in 15-20 minutes.

chet15

Hawkeye
27 Man said:
My gun show buddy passed away recently and left me his old model Single Six with the 9 1/2" barrel. The factory tells me that they shipped the gun in October of 1962. It is in excellent condition and came with the .22 mag cylinder in it. Unfortunately, he lost the LR cylinder and got another somewhere. I can't get it in the gun. It probably would be out of time too. Factory tells me that they can fix it but I would have to agree to have the action updated but I won't do that. Looks like I got a very nice .22 mag revolver.

That is also a pretty scarce gun. Could be an XR3 grip framed RSS9X or might be an early transition gun with small serial numbers and XR3-RED grip frame which is a lot scarcer than the XR3 variation.
The mag. cylinder should have the last three digits of the serial number stamped on the front in small 1/16" digits. The LR cylinder would be unmarked, and would have the firing pin groove around the rear face.
Be kind to it!!
Chet15

27 Man

Bearcat
Thanks chet15 for the information. SN is 193xxx. XR3-RED grips do not fit. They are too long and leave a gap at the top. The pearl grips, that I assume are fake, are marked 24 Ruger Single Six on the inside. Maybe I need to call Ruger and find out just what I have.

I'm pretty sure you will find the Ajax or Jay Scott grips marked #24 are indeed old model XR-3 straight down the back, the newer ones are #31 for the XR-3 RED (redesigned) no, these grips are NO longer made by those companies,both are out of business,maybe Ajax has or found "new buyers,owners????not sure....Happy Thanksgiving :wink:

27 Man

Bearcat
Update—Hondo44 walked me through the project and I now have the .22 LR cylinder fitted to my revolver. Next project is those grips. Need to find some Ruger XR3 Single Six grips. Tough to find.

27 Man
I have several sets of Walnut XR3 grip panels (and also have plenty of sets of black hard rubber) - I'll dig out some pairs of grips. PM me your email and I'll send you some pictures/prices.

chet15

Hawkeye
27 Man said:
Thanks chet15 for the information. SN is 193xxx. XR3-RED grips do not fit. They are too long and leave a gap at the top. The pearl grips, that I assume are fake, are marked 24 Ruger Single Six on the inside. Maybe I need to call Ruger and find out just what I have.

The RSS9X with XR3 grip frame is a sought after variation, and at 193xxx, its also one of the last to leave with that grip frame (most that I know of are in the 1936xx range). Congrats on ownership!
Walnut XR3 would be what it left the factory with originally.
Chet15

27 Man

Bearcat
Thanks again chet15. Jussbad sold me some Ruger walnut XR3 grips. Should arrive tomorrow. The fake pearls will go into a baggy and stored in the back of the safe. Should have the old girl back in original condition soon. Now to find a box.

chet15

Hawkeye
27 Man said:
Thanks again chet15. Jussbad sold me some Ruger walnut XR3 grips. Should arrive tomorrow. The fake pearls will go into a baggy and stored in the back of the safe. Should have the old girl back in original condition soon. Now to find a box.

Boxes show up ever now and then on ebay...averaging around $200 - 250.
The extra cylinder would have been in a red felt bag with yellow drawstring, and the bag with cylinder would have been packaged in a brown box with Ruger black printing.
Send me a PM of your full serial number so I can add to my notes... maybe a consecutive will show up with somebody.
Che15

A hard box to find but they are out there :wink: - this is what your looking for along with the 1959 manual. As Chad stated above try ebay. A nice box will go in the $300 + range in my opinion.
414089696.jpg

414089694.jpg

414089695.jpg

chet15

Hawkeye
Thanks Jussbad!
Yes, that box with the "WITH WALNUT GRIPS" sticker is exactly what an RSS9W with XR3 grip frame would have been shipped in.
After they went to the XR3-RED, the "WITH WALNUT GRIPS" sticker was no longer needed.
But... A plain old RSS9 box without the sticker would work just fine.
Chet15