OLD Model SBH ins and outs

Help Support Ruger Forum:

375_H&H_Mag

Bearcat
Ale-8(1)

I think the bright lighting in the 3 rd and 4 th picture make the blue less glossy looking due to the intensity and direct shine. I bought and old remington 30-06 rifle on gunbroker that looked a lot worse in the pic than in hand. I hope this one is the same way. Talking with the guy who owned it, I gather that he is pretty anal about his stuff, much to my benefit I might add. The turn line looks HUGE to me in those pics, but is probably much less severe than it appears.

375_H&H_Mag

Bearcat
Doesn't appear to have been used much and fired much. He said it is extremely tight on lockup, and he has handled many guns in his life from what I gather. I hear the guns from this era were well made and generally shoot well and accurately. I hope so. I don't want a dud. I hope this beast is as good a quality as I expect. It is (as all ruger single actions) a beautiful piece. I would also LOVE to get a Ruger OLD ARMY to shoot occasionally but most often to just look at and handle. I swear, the Old Army is, to me, the most beautiful handgun ever built. I am tempted while I have the spare cash to either buy another SBH or an OLD ARMY (preferred).

Thanks for the comments and nice to meet you Ale-8(1)

In case nobody else has mentioned it, "Welcome to RugerForum".

And now would be a great time to take up reloading to feed that new toy, if you don't already. The .44 Mag is quite flexible.

:D

Ruger1441

Blackhawk
I want to know if you had a mask on when you stole that beauty. Cylinder line looks minor to me. Great looking gun. 8)

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
375_H&H_Mag":1vnaipn8 said:
''I recommend you upgrade to a stinkin New Model''

No offense Sir, but I wanted the old model for:

1) Nostalgia
2) Supposed slicker operation and better triggers/action
3) collectors value
4) the fact that they will not be made again
5) i like to be different

With that being said, the new model probably has advantages for ease of operation and definitely safety. I do respect your submitted opinion, but think I will stick to this "Oldie" for now. Who knows, I might end up going with a newer model to have both.

Cheers, and maybe the fellows want sling too much lead at you
:wink:

No offense taken at all. That's why there are all kinds out there. I was just trying to stir up the OM "nuts" for fun. I hope you enjoy your SBH; they're good guns for sure.

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
StanMemTn":1zrmfsry said:
I think we should have a 3 month moratorium on further discussion of cylinder turn lines! :wink:

I agree. So it gets a line on the cylinder--no big deal! That line does not hurt anything. If a properly-timed Old Model does not develop this, great. But it is a trivial consideration, to me at least.

Latest posts