Old Model SBH hurts my hand

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chief

Single-Sixer
Ok so we have all heard this one before, but I recently came across a nice OM SBH that is the sweetest shooter, well in .44 spl that is. When I shoot magnums that old, square trigger guard pounds my middle finger. Four shots is about all I can take. Anyway call me a wimp but this gun is a squirmy, hard to hang on to knuckle buster. So I need some different grips for it. I know that the rubber jobs would work but the revolver is too nice for those. I need some wood. Nice wood that will fill that darn trigger guard area and allow me to get a hold of it. Anyone got some suggestions? Do you think the Hogue grips would serve? Maybe someone can recommend some gloves to wear?
Ralph

jgt

Buckeye
I had a good friend that used one daily. He had a set of Herrett's Stocks on his. He made a trace of his hand and sent it to them and they made the stocks based on that drawing. IIRC, they were somewhat filled in between the grip frame and trigger guard.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I'll second that!

I didn't even trace my hand, just ordered their SBH Target grips. They worked perfectly well for me. I highly recommend them. Old and new model SBH take the same grips.

I see them on ebay and gunbroker occasionally.

choirboy

Bearcat
I got the Herretts for mine when I bought it new in 1971. I didn't have a problem with my knuckle since I have small hands but it sure was squirmy with the factory grip. It completely fills the gap behind the trigger guard.
CB

Chief

Single-Sixer
I remember the Herrett grips from back in the day. They are certainly nice , but I thought they have been out of business for awhile now. I will certainly keep an eye out for them however. I had another SBH back when I was a much younger man and the grip didn't seem to be a problem then. LOL. With the Herrets, do you think if matters if they are checkered or smooth?

coach

Hunter
Gripswell.com makes nice shooting gloves. Models vary with some having more padding in fingers/palm. I have a basic set that work for me and have an extra layer of leather on the middle finger where it gets bumped. I use them for driving too. They are light and comfortable and grip a steering wheel or pistol well.

Enigma

Hunter
Yes, Herrett's is out of business, but that happened pretty recently. You can wrap tape around your finger where it smacks against the trigger guard for a cheap solution. You can spend significantly more and replace the grip frame with a different style (excellent quality, available in brass and aluminum) one from Ronnie Wells, or you can put rubber baby buggy bumpers on it.

https://rwgripframes-com.3dcartstores.com/

contender

Ruger Guru
Everybody's hands are different,, and as such, fit & comfort of different grips is important.

There are many good suggestions above. From the taping of the finger, to gloves, to different grips. One type of glove that may help, is a golf glove.

But another suggestion,, and this is ONLY offered because I can't see you shoot,, is maybe a lesson in proper gripping for the handgun is necessary?
I offer this because I've seen small framed, small handed ladies shoot a full power SBH easily,, AND hit with it when properly coached. And,, I've also coached others in how to shoot one. SOMETIMES,,, it is actually a gripping METHOD that needs adjustment.

Just a thought.

Chief

Single-Sixer
Contender, I am open to suggestions on the gripping method. I have been using the same grip as I use on all SA revolvers.
Can you explain your method?

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
Lots of good advice above. A couple other things to consider, with Contender mentioning the golfers glove is bikers gloves. A friend bought a pair and gave me the left one. After trimming it, opening the back side, shortening a couple of fingers, it did pretty well. I've given up the big boomer now (my son has it). lost track of the glove. Another consideration is to change grip frames. Occasionally you will find Old Model (XR3 Red) grip frames on auction and sometimes here on the Forum........remember , the XR3 was used on the .44 Flattop!

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I have bought several sets of Blackhawk Herrets grips on eBay. I saw them for the Super Blackhawk fairly often when I was buying.

contender

Ruger Guru
Chief, I wish I could articulate in writing how a grip change might work. It's not easy to do. And, I always tell folks I want to see how they are currently gripping a gun, and watch them shoot it.
That's where being a good instructor comes into play.

I get to see a lot of people shoot,, as a USPSA CRO, and NRA Instructor. And in teaching,, I take new students & demonstrate a proper grip for different styles of handguns. I follow with; "And this is what works for me & most people,, but your hands are possibly different enough to where we may need to work on a better method for you."
I wish you were able to visit during one of my East Coast Gatherings,, as I'd GLADLY offer my help. (Kevin did & it helped him!)
Maybe you can look around your neck of the woods to find a GOOD instructor who understands & enjoys SA handguns to help you.

kevin masten

Blackhawk
In my years of experience, lots of folks fight and resist the recoil of their big bore revolvers and learn the bad habit of anticipation. Hard habit to break. When the trigger breaks and the round is fired, let it surprise you! No flinching when you are surprised. I have seen folks flinch so bad, one would believe the piece had fired. No foolin' on that!

The single action frame style wants to roll back into your hand and torques at the same time. A firm grip and let the revolver recoil. My eleven years old grandsons shoot 44 mag Rugers with no complaint. Not to say there is not felt recoil, you just hang on for the ride. They even shoot the 500 Smiths and just grin. Maybe, sometimes start with lighter loads, if you hand load, and work your way up to the big , rip snorting' loads. Good advise from all. Each shooter has to detetmine what works for them. Safe shooting.

Chief

Single-Sixer
Lots of good response here. Thank you. I have shot this revolver with lighter loads and it is a joy. The full power loads are the issue. The gun rolls up in your hand, no doubt about that and I understand that is as it is supposed to be. I do not fight that, indeed physics is a law that is not easily overcome. I love the look of the SBH and I don't want to detract from that, so grip frame changes are not really an option and large oversized grips or rubber aren't the most pleaseing look. I will try the glove route when I shoot the heavy loads and see how that works.
Thanks all!
Ralph

Onty

Single-Sixer
Article:

Ruger Super Blackhawk

I also fitted a pair of Herrett's walnut grips to the gun that I had slimmed down and refinished to better fit my hand. When firing heavy magnum loads, these grips are the most comfortable that I have ever used. I have had them on other Super Blackhawks that I have owned, and they protect my knuckles from dislodging and flying through the air, while still allowing the sixgun to properly roll in my hand under recoil.

SB01.jpg

https://gunblast.com/Super_Blackhawk.htm

P.S. Just learned that Jeff Quinn from Gunblast https://gunblast.com/ passed away on July 27.2020. RIP Jeff, we will miss you.

The long rider

Bearcat
Article:

Ruger Super Blackhawk

I also fitted a pair of Herrett's walnut grips to the gun that I had slimmed down and refinished to better fit my hand. When firing heavy magnum loads, these grips are the most comfortable that I have ever used. I have had them on other Super Blackhawks that I have owned, and they protect my knuckles from dislodging and flying through the air, while still allowing the sixgun to properly roll in my hand under recoil.

SB01.jpg

P.S. Just learned that Jeff Quinn from Gunblast https://gunblast.com/ passed away on July 27.2020. RIP Jeff, we will miss you.
Wow! What a beautiful revolver and those grips look like they belong on that gun. I must find a pair of those grips! Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts