old model ruger 45 LC

Help Support Ruger Forum:

zacharoo

Bearcat
My ruger 1976 blackhawk in 45 colt has oversized cylinder throats. Does anyone know if ruger would make an exchange if I send it back. I know it sounds crazy but my gunsmith friend sugested it. has anyone had any experience like this. The cylinder throats run 454 to 456. Give me a responce if anyone knows anything.

Zacharoo

zacharoo

Bearcat
If this is true you are saying I need to try .454 dia. or bigger bullets of the same weight to try? If so should the be a hard cast or a soft lead bullet?
Zacharoo

flatgate

Hawkeye
I have a "Liberty Marked" .45 cal. Blackhawk. I bought it in the late 1980's and it, too, had the horribly oversized cylinder throats. I returned it to Ruger and they installed a new cylinder for no charge. The new cylinder ended up having slightly undersized throats, a condition easily rectified!

It shoots really well!

flatgate

J Miller

Blackhawk
Zacharoo,

Shooting .454" bullets is the first "cure" I'd try. They aren't that hard to come by and should work well.
However if your chamber throats vary from .454" to .456" I doubt you'll get any decent accuracy from it.

So if larger bullets didn't work and your accuracy didn't improve then I'd pull the action out of the gun and ship it Ruger for a new cylinder.
Once it got back, take the conversion out, throw it in the junk box and put the original action back in.
Then slug the throats on the new cylinder. They'll probably need reamed to proper size.

JMHO

Joe