Old Model - New Model Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BorderGuard

Bearcat
Hi,

Just a quick question. I hear reference to Old Model and New Model Vaquero and am wondering what the cut-off date is between the two. Also, I seem to remember the Old Models had a heavier frame??? Is that right? Are there any other differences between the two? My dad had one he bought in 1993 (my brother has it now) and I've got one I bought in 2002. His is a 7 1/2" blued .45 Colt and mine is a 4 5/8" nickel .45 Colt. Thanks.

Randy

BlkHawk73

Hunter
There's the Vaquero and the New Vaquero. That's the designations given to the models by Ruger. Also happens to be what is rollmarked on the cylinder frame. Both are New Modals by design as they both employ the transfer bar system. The Vaquero was built on the full size frame, basically a standard Blackhawk/SBH frame but with different sights. The New Vaquero models are built on a slightly smaller, medium sized cylinder frame. There are NO Old Model Vaqueros!

BlkHawk73

Hunter
There have been Vaqueros shipped since 2005 however as special runs and clean-up runs

greenmachine

Bearcat
BlkHawk73":dk8odqx3 said:
There's the Vaquero and the New Vaquero. There are NO Old Model Vaqueros!

I wish people that sell on GB would realize that. I've been searching on 'old model' and keep coming up with all these Vaqueros with no sights (ugh). :lol:

flatgate

Hawkeye
268537866.jpg

Vaquero and New Vaquero. At a quick glance they look alike. Closer inspection reveals a much taller hammer on the New Vaquero and a smaller grip frame, cylinder frame and cylinder than what is on the Vaquero.

I need to take a pic of the Vaquero and New Vaquero rollmarks.....

flatgate