Old Model grip frame switch to a Bisley grip frame?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

G2

Hunter
Big Hassle??? ,,, that all depends on your capabilities, resources, bank account/ budget, etc…
It can be done in many ways, lets start the the discussion here….

This is a OM 45 Blackhawk, used a Brass NM Gripframe with a NM Trigger Spring, with a Clements OM/NM Bisley Trigger and a OM Bisley Hammer.
More money in the parts than what was in the gun.
Clements parts we're a really simple, well thought out way of doing this.

52254996177_5aa53f7b2a_z.jpg

FWIW:
Clements Hammer/Trigger are no longer made by Clements, however any day now, (it's been ~2 years in the making) Ronnie Wells/ RWgripframes, will be making all the parts needed. Not inexpensive, but they most likely will be high quality. His Grip Frames are Excellent. (RW estimated cost~$250/hammer, $75/trigger)

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
I will say that G2 has a nice gun there for sure.

BUT,, to answer the OP's question,, YES,, you can do a bit of MINOR custom work to use a NM Bisley g/f under an OM Blackhawk.

The screw hole pattern is identical, so it will screw right on. However,, the trigger return spring is different in the OM vs the NM. To use the OM action, you have to add a custom made insert piece to the Bisley g/f for the OM trigger return spring.
The little custom piece is EASILY fabricated, by hand out of brass, aluminum, or even steel.

To explain;

There is a slot in the NM g/f's that the music wire trigger return spring lays in. In an OM, there is a hole in the g/f behind the trigger for the coil trigger return spring & plunger. The little custom adapter piece is cut to fit the slot, drilled to accept the coil spring & plunger, and cross drilled with a pin hole to hold it in place.

I've made several out of aluminum, and it's NOT hard. I'll see if I can add some pictures.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    372.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 39

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, the pictures did upload.
Picture (1) is a blank piece.
Picture (2) it has been filed down for the hammer strut & spring to clear. And it's been cross drilled for the retention pin. (I drill the pin hole first, install it, and mark how much I need to file off for the hammer strut.)
Picture (3) shows the finished piece. Drilled from the end for the spring & plunger. And filed to clear the space in the frame etc. The spring hole got slightly exposed here, but it isn't a problem.

Now,, here's a couple of pictures showing you with one temporarily installed in a g/f.
(That one didn't have the spring hole cut open.)

Attachments

• P1030601.JPG
    P1030601.JPG
    246.8 KB · Views: 39
  • P1030602.JPG
    P1030602.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 52
Quit simply get with RW grip frames.
Not only possible but the choices are infinite.

This. Ronnie's frames are amazing. I haven't used any of his hammers or triggers yet, but I can guarantee they are spot on. I just ordered another couple frames from him yesterday- another "Dealer" for my .357 and a custom job for my .45.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
After doing several of these and making the adapter above, I found a much easier way. Use a fired 22 LR CASE. File a cross groove in the base of the case. Install the new model trigger spring pivot pin and nest tha case groove against that pin. Use the old model trigger return spring and plunger inside the 22 case.

Haven't done one for awhile but As I recall, there's one more simple modification needed; but I'll check when I get home. This might be for usng an OM GRIP FRAME on a NM gun but here it is:

You must drill one hole in the new model grip frames for the cylinder latch return spring. Refer to the OM grip frame to locate where you drill the hole and use an old model spring and plunger.

contender

Ruger Guru
Thanks. I didn't bother to mate the top of the grip frame "ears" to the .44 just in case I want to swap it back sometime & use the g/f elsewhere.