Old Model fixed sight Single Six with wrong cylinder?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
Hi all,
Was at the LGS today and saw a 5 1/2 inch fixed sight Single Six 3 screw that had been converted to a transfer bar model; serial number was 362*** and it had a 22 LR cylinder; no magnum cylinder came with it. I did a serial number look up on Ruger's web site and it didn't come up as a standard Single Six, rather, I found that serial number listed under the Single Six Magnums and dated to 1963. Has aluminum ERH. Not sure of the gripframe; XR3 vs XR3 RED, but thinking back, suspect the later.
Would this be an 22 mag only revolver that someone switched to 22 LR or would this have come with both cylinders and someone lost the 22 mag one?

hittman

Staff member
You know Cholo …. I think so but will defer to Chet15 and others.

well two things aside from the "fact" the "Magnum 22" guns were marked on the left side of the frame ,AND the barrels were also 6 1/2 inch,,,,that tells us without even looking it up, its is a Single Six and most likely missing the 'spare' cylinder, IF it was shipped with one or two...........:cool::rolleyes:;)

One picture is worth at least 3 words :) All magnum marked frames. 4 came with extra 22LR cylinders.
1655303595951.png

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
Thank you all; this is great info!
I will try to get a Ruger letter on it to see if it, indeed, came with only a 22 LR cylinder (which is what I now suspect given all the above info).

keep in mind, the "Magnum marked" guns if having a spare cylinder it ( the spare)would be 22 LR , whereas the regular "Single Six ( Super Single Six ) have the 22 magnum as the spare, thus numbers ,such as last 3 digits may be on ONE or the OTHER and /or both.....yep can be confusing...and as we often tell folks better to have NO digits , than the "wrong" digits, yeah, I know,,, even though it may fit and work properly...:cool::rolleyes:;)