Old Model conversion back to original parts

Help Support Ruger Forum:

opos

Buckeye
I have a Blackhawk old model from 1969 (s/n 50-0131x). It's a 30 carbine and was converted by Ruger in 1983 (I have the paperwork and have the original parts in the plastic bag that were returned from Ruger). If I decide to convert it back to the original configuration will it then be "as manufactured" or did Ruger make other modifications in addition to the parts they replace that would make it obvious to have been altered and then changed back? It's almost unfired and doesn't even have a turn ring so would be a really nice original piece if it's worth the conversion back...Many thanks
opos

The "safety conversion" does not change the gun except for the replacement of those specific parts.

If you put the original parts back in, your gun will be "original" in configuration.

However, during the conversion, the factory stamps a letter "R" (I think) on the bottom surface of the main frame where it is hidden by the grip frame when it's in place. At least they used to. Yes, the conversion is thus indicated for anyone who looks in the future. This means you should keep the "conversion" parts for a complete, accurate package. JMHO on that.

If you "un-convert" your nice gun, be exceedingly careful with your screwdriver.

:)

opos

Buckeye
Thanks for the reply...I'd heard they marked a gun in some manner...I'm older with marginal eyes and perhaps the best thing is to just leave the gun exactly as it is and keep all the conversion parts together and just be content as it is...it's not a gun I shoot...have another for that and probably will just grace my "rear tier" in the safe except for an ocassional wipe down and look....I got plenty to shoot and have a number of old models in various calibers that are just staying safe queens....I was working in a gun store in Northern Colorado in the 50's so have an attachment to the old model Rugers...no way am I going to take a chance on buggering up the screws on this really perfect revolver...
thanks again
Opos

Sounds like a plan to me. If you really don't need to shoot it, and just want to "collect" it, leaving it "as-is" is likely the best idea.

Whatever you do, DON'T LOSE THOSE ORIGINAL PARTS!!!

:)

opos

Buckeye
I hear you....The man I got it from had gotten it from his Father who bought it new and maybe fired it a couple dozen times...the father sent it for the conversion in 83 (got Ruger's paperwork, etc as well as the mailer they sent it in...the Son put it away and only took it out to wipe down a couple times a year...he never shot it...when he advertised it and said he had some parts that he had just planned to toss as they were not necessary...man am I glad he didn't toss them...Nope, it's all there, all complete and just the way Ruger "sealed up" the plastic bag....all nicely snuggled in the safe...thanks again for the input.
opos

flatgate

Hawkeye
It sounds as if you don't have a lot of experience with the original "Lockwork" as compared to the "Conversion Lockwork".

Proper handling of the gun, especially when "letting the hammer down" will prevent the "cylinder latch" from marring/ringing the cylinder. Please read this sentence again.

There's just NO reason to..........

JMHO,

flatgate