Old Model BKH-34X and BKH-36X boxes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chet15

Hawkeye
I am finishing up my article on .357 Blackhawks for the May RENE (protected sight models) and don't remember if all the boxes for the Old Model BKH-34X / BKH-36X convertibles had a white label covering the end saying BKH-34X or BKH-36X. Can somebody help with that? If I remember correctly, most boxes did not have a BKH-34X or BKH-36X label on the end for the convertible models, and such a label may only have been used if for some reason Ruger ran out of stock at any given time of any BKH-34 or BKH-36 printed box.
Chet15

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I have had several of those white stickered .357 boxes for 6.5" guns and in every case it was covering up a BKH42 box for a .41 Mag. I may still have one - will let you know if I can find it. I don't think I've ever had a 4-5/8" .357 in a stickered box. I've seen it go the other way though, with a .41 Mag sticker over another caliber - I just sold a BKH41 in one of those stickered boxes recently to a forum member.

Ruger also seemed to have a lot of leftover BKH45 boxes that were used for early New Models, both .45 and .30 Carbine. Plus Old Armys.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
OK, I still have one paste-over box convertible in my dealer inventory that I have been hanging onto to see whether it upgrades the one in my collection, but haven't gotten around to digging that one out to check. So this one was easy to find, and confirms what I was thinking earlier, that the model number did not include the "X" for convertible (the only "X" stickers I recall seeing were for RSS4X Single Sixes).

1RJn9kG.jpg

tnadhgB.jpg

When I was saving those fresh pics, I put them in a "Boxes" folder on my PC and saw that I kept pics of a couple others, one of which you can make out the .41 caliber underneath (possibly due to having been wet with lighter fluid - just a guess :D):

q1giZmB.jpg

glYExOs.jpg

One thing that I've noticed over the years of collecting is that the RSS4x sticker boxes did use at least 2 different length of stickers (as you can see in the above pictures) - not sure the reason why but just something I noticed and have had both lengths of labels.

street

Hunter
jussbad said:
One thing that I've noticed over the years of collecting is that the RSS4x sticker boxes did use at least 2 different length of stickers (as you can see in the above pictures) - not sure the reason why but just something I noticed and have had both lengths of labels.

This is just a thought! Maybe those labels were printed on a larger piece of paper and then cut to length at the factory. This may be the reason for the different sizes. It would be nice if everyone that has one of those boxes would measure the length and height and see if there is any small difference in all of those labels.

Latest posts