Old model 9 1/2" Ruger Single Six convertible value

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bbtrout

Bearcat
A friend has a minty (perhaps unfired since leaving Ruger) 9 1/2" unconverted old model blued Single Six Convertible with original box, .22 mag cyl in its box & red bag + orig owner's booklet. S/N range is 361XXX and I need some advise on a fair market value for the package. Thanks for your input.

JCW64

Single-Sixer
Right now I would say $500-600. The box has a fair amount of value if it's in good shape. Those are nice packages that you don't see all that often. If it has the outer shipping carton you can add another $50.

contender

Ruger Guru
It depends upon a few small details such as if it's a "transition" model, or if it has small or large serial numbers.
I'd place the described package at at a minimum of $525, to as much as $600,, depending upon the details. Also,, if it has the proper shipping carton, add at least $75.

street

Hunter
It appears that your gun is probably a type 3 transitional model RSS9X. That would include an alum. ejector rod housing, last 3 digits of the serial number scratched on the front of the cylinders and small size 1/16 in. serial numbers. If that is the case then it looks as if there were only about 475 of them made. That gun is very hard to find, and as you have the box and the gun is mint, it should bring a high price.

RENE list it at $600 for a 95 to 98% gun with the box at $210. As your gun is mint then I think $600 is cheap. As a matter of fact as rare as that gun is I think $600 is too cheap for a 95 to 98% gun. Of course that is just my opinion and you have to find the right person to want it to get a better price.

I collected Rugers from 1977 to 2010 and I never had a chance to buy that variation, so that gun is RARE!!!!!

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted,,, the devil is in the details.
I didn't take the time to look up the serial number,, and as such,, my initial advice came from the RENE Price guide. I forgot to add in the box as a separate value item,, thinking (incorrectly) it was included in the pricing guide.
Follow Street's info,, as he was a lot more detailed than I was.

chet15

Hawkeye
Yes that's a RARE gun! The 9-1/2" Old Model is pretty scarce as it is, but any collector will have a hard time finding a NIB (or close to it) transition 9-1/2". They are non-existant. To put the rarity of that gun in perspective, NIB tri-color Lightweights are 10-15 times more common!!! Its value won't match that of NIB Lightweight, but it certainly is rarer.

RF moderators...why isn't the RENE logo at left???
Chet15

chet15 said:
RF moderators...why isn't the RENE logo at left???
Chet15

Your PB account is responsible for the problem with your avatar not being there...see all the posts regarding how Photo Bucket's new fee policy has screwed things up..including your account,

fixed thanks to fellow RF members

chet15

Hawkeye
Ah yes...dad's first RSS9X in about 1972 has a blue interior.
We asked Steve Vogel what the deal was with that and he said it comes about from a sheet of paper in between every 1,000 sheets (or 5,000, or 10,000).
There are a few of those around...interesting we haven't seen a different color interior (sky blue) in any other box but the RSS9. The blue paper is also different in that it is a slick paper instead of the common porous looking white paper.
For shipping sleeves the same holds true with white (instead of brown) examples that show up from time to time.
Chet15

bbtrout

Bearcat
Thanks to all for the input. Took some photos and confirmed it is a 9 1/2" RSS9 with the small size serial number 361XXX. The original box (white interior) is numbered to the revolver and is in excellent condition except for a tear on one corner of the end label. Both cylinders have the last 3 numbers of the s/n engraved on the front of the cylinder with an electric pencil. The original rust paper and owners manual are included. No outer shipping carton. Don't know if it has been fired since leaving Rutger, but the revolver's condition is a conservative 98-99%. It is available for $1050 plus insured shipping. Photos are available via email upon request.

bbtrout said:
Thanks to all for the input. Took some photos and confirmed it is a 9 1/2" RSS9 with the small size serial number 361XXX. The original box (white interior) is numbered to the revolver and is in excellent condition except for a tear on one corner of the end label. Both cylinders have the last 3 numbers of the s/n engraved on the front of the cylinder with an electric pencil. The original rust paper and owners manual are included. No outer shipping carton. Don't know if it has been fired since leaving Rutger, but the revolver's condition is a conservative 98-99%. It is available for $1050 plus insured shipping. Photos are available via email upon request.

I suggest you post in the classified section, it will get more views and will sell...if I wasn't so short on cash, it would be mine!

Good luck,

street

Hunter
2sheriffs said:
36- serial numbers were for .357 Blackhawks. Single 6's were 20 or 21.

You are talking about guns with a prefix serial number. The gun in question doesn't have a prefix. This gun was manufactured in 1963 and the prefix guns didn't start until 1969.

street

Hunter
2sheriffs said:
How much would a comparable 20-75XX serial # be worth. It has the box and paperwork.
Ron
RENE list RSS9X 98 to mint at $525. Box at $210, That late of paperwork is not listed, but I would say somewhere between $15 and $30.