Old model .45 Colt Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The 45 Colt old models were only made for a year or two and while I do not have my refence book in front of me, I believe they are the caliber with the least number of old models made. This is excluding rarities such as Hawkeyes, engraved etc.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I have been sort of looking for one shipped in 1970, January of that year would be a must have. Lucky for my budget, I have yet to find one yet but I am still paying off my Clements gun purchase so it makes it easier not to look hard right now.

contender

Ruger Guru
The OM 45 Blackhawks were made from 1970-1973. Serial number range is 45-00111 to 45-23031. So only about 22,921 were released to the public. Add in the popularity of SASS, and non collectors, and the availability of them drives up the demand, and the prices.
Pristene NIB examples command premiums. Heck, even shooters can set you back more than many other models.

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
contender, Thanks for the facs. and numbers here on the OM .45 Blackhawk. I have one shipped in '71 with 7 1/2" bbl.

Had the front sight built up a bit, cylinders opened up to .452, and added a Milllet rear sight and steel e.r.h. Among all my other handguns, this is my favorite shooter by a long shot. :D

deserttrans

Buckeye
Yep, many of the 4 5/8 inchers are being used by SASS. I think the shorter ones bring a higher premium too.

bigbore45colt

Hunter
To be a bit more precise, the OM 45s were made from Dec, 1970 until May, 1973. So, Quarterbore, you won't find one from Jan, 1970. The Dec, 1970 shipped guns are hard enough to find.

The s/n range actually started with 45-00001. There were 23,030 of them made...less than there were 44 mag flat-tops.

They are one of my main areas of Ruger collecting (the other being factory brass frames). I sure do love those OM 45s!!

BB45C

contender

Ruger Guru
Matt is correct as I just copied part of that info from the RENE guide. I knew that the serial numbers should have been 45-00001 & up, as I have seen a few lower numbers than 45-00111.
And I too happen to enjoy that model.

ButchG17

Bearcat
The Ruger site shows mine was probably shipped in 72....number 45-166xx.

RugerBH45Colt.jpg

Chief

Single-Sixer
COR said:
Get the books! Trust me, you'll be glad you did. Author is Dougan and worth every penny.

To which book are you referring? Can it give me the month of manufacture?
Chief

flatgate

Hawkeye
Chief,

None of the "Books" are that detailed. One must call the Ruger Factory and they will usually supply the month and year of shipping. They don't usually supply the manufacture date.

Below is an example of Ruger's "Letter" on a pair of ol' .22's I have.

174686578.jpg

Notice that only the shipping data is supplied.

flatgate

PS OK, I gotta "show off" the guns.........

115908431.jpg

Chief

Single-Sixer
flatgate said:
Chief,

None of the "Books" are that detailed. One must call the Ruger Factory and they will usually supply the month and year of shipping. They don't usually supply the manufacture date.

Below is an example of Ruger's "Letter" on a pair of ol' .22's I have.

174686578.jpg

Notice that only the shipping data is supplied.

flatgate

PS OK, I gotta "show off" the guns.........

115908431.jpg

Wow!
Thanks for the info and the pic! Real nice Flatgate! I aspire to be you.
So really what "books" are available?

Chief

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok the books;
Join the Red Eagle News Exchange, and you will get the "Ruger Reference Guide" as part of your first subscription. It's invaluable.

Next, Get a copy of R.L. Wilsons "Ruger & His Guns." Even some book discount places have them for under $20

Next, a few by John Dougan;
"Know your Ruger Single-Actions 1953-1963."
"Ruger Single-Actions the Second Decade,"
"Ruger Pistols & Revolvers the Vintage Years" 1949-1973.

Chad Hiddlesons book; "Encyclopedia Of Ruger Semi-automatic rimfires" (Lots of good info that's crossover to other things too.)

Don Findley's book; Bill Ruger's 22 Pistol. Again, lots of great info beyond the semi's.

Those are a start,,,!