Old Model .45 Blackhawk question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

daveg.inkc

Hunter
LGS called me about 2 nice Blackhawks they had in store. First is a .45, 7.5 barrel 3-screw that has polished aluminum grip frame and varnished grip panels. I have seen pictures here of Blackhawks that I described. Made in 1972. Are these a distributors model? Or a model Ruger offered? And it is a convertible. ACP cylinder has been fired, but overall, very nice with no turn ring. No box yet, but this is from an estate sale and the son is still looking. 2nd BH is a 1972 , 4 5/8" .357. Both are in great condition. If someone here wants the .357, let me know. The .45 is sold!

JCW64

Single-Sixer
There were no factory OM 45 Blackhawks with polished grip frames and varnished grips. There were some factory brass grip frames around 1972 and those are desirable. If the grip frame was polished by a previous owner the value is usually diminished. However it is still a OM 45!

JCW64

Single-Sixer
The original Blackhawks from 1957-62 and the Supers from 1959-62 had varnished grips from the factory but never polished aluminum grip frames.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Since the aluminum grip frames show wear very easily it's very common for them to be polished by owners. If it looks freshly polished w/o the slightest tarnishing, perhaps your LGS is polishing the worn GFs to enhance the sales.

Especially since you've seen two now at the same store.

contender

Ruger Guru
That 45 did not ship with a polished g/f. It is common to do so on these guns. Do NOT sweat it. A g/f can be swapped out to restore that gun to it's original condition. Same with the grips.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Thanks guys. These Rugers came from a man who passed. Now son is selling off. These 2 Old Models have not been fired much. Look and feel new. Hard to say with owner gone. I will post a picture soon.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I think a brass grip would look nice. This piece has no turn line. No marks. Grips are shiny. I cant wait to clean and oil it. I have not shot .45 Auto throw these single actions.

ftr53

Bearcat
.45 ACP works great in the convertible. Mine's a New Model from 1980 with 7-1/2" and ACPs feel like .38s in it.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
daveg.inkc said:
I think a brass grip would look nice. This piece has no turn line. No marks. Grips are shiny. I cant wait to clean and oil it. I have not shot .45 Auto throw these single actions.

You can have your grip frame brass plated. Much easier and cheaper than getting a brass GF!

2sheriffs

Single-Sixer
I have a Old Model XR3 I had brass plated. I don't know how it will last as I haven't shot it since.
The shop that did it is now out of business.
Ron