Old childhood toys

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Gopher

Single-Sixer
I had a blond Army Joe. We had many adventures together as I grew up.
Joe's end came one cold Sunday afternoon on a frozen stock tank. He went out during an action that involved a German scout car, fireworks, a hole in the ice, and a pump-up pellet gun. It was a good day to die. 😮

Mauser9

Single-Sixer
Heck wish I something to show like that Dick Tracy snub nose .38 that had a shiny silver finish like nickel. Shot plastic bullets from a spring loaded casing. Only other "toys" that survive are a Daisy pump model 25 and a Silvertone 6 transistor A.M. Gun still works though from 1962

BROKENBEAR

Single-Sixer
How has this come this far with out mentioning Mattel Fanner 50's six-guns ..Hubley cast air planes n trucks ..Red Ryder BB Guns ..Tonka Trucks ,,Roy Rogers stuff ??

Bear

GasGuzzler

Hunter
My interest was toy trucks and 1/25 scale model cars. I had my cap guns and BB guns as well.

I still have mine. The ones I completed and were good enough to keep are on display next to my reloading bench. I have several in the attic in various stages of completion along with parts cars and some of the earlier sloppy work I did.

My dad still has his ca. 1955 metal John Deere toy tractor, hay baler, etc.

I used to have up close pics but they're likely lost on an old hosting site server that stole them...

2-D73-C3-ED-F4-F1-4-C8-E-9-FEB-25547-ACC64-B2.jpg

redfernclan

Bearcat
Never had a "New" BB gun. Saved up money till I could buy a used one. I got a Daisey Red Rider. Was so worn out that you could see the BB leave the barrel. I would shoot the stubby beer bottles from my dud and it would bounce off. Still had a lot of fond memories with it. My dad passed last year and my mom the year before. Still going through the house that they lived in for 60 plus years. In the back corner of the garage wrapped up in plastic I found my old Red Rider.
Now it's in my shop.

ole442

Single-Sixer
Ohio! Way too freakin' close to the city!
I bought a NIB FANNER 50 a number of years ago and paid more than I have for real guns. Decided to sell it a few years ago and hate Ebay so I sold it otherwise. I got about half of what I originally paid! Oh Well!

Fanner 50 a.jpg
Fanner 50 b.jpg
Fanner 50 c.jpg
Fanner 50 holster a.jpg

I also picked up a Bat Masterson cane like I once had back in the late 50's! I still have that.

Bat Masterson cane a.JPG

Bat Masterson cane b.JPG

Bat Masterson cane c.JPG

I still have my Hubley Rifleman cap rifle. My grandmother and grandfather bought it for my 8th birthday 62 years ago. It's not going anywhere. I was cool stuff when I had it back in the day!

Hubley Rifleman cap rifle 1950's.JPG

I also have a Mattel VAC-U-FORM like I had back in the 1960's. It's pretty nice in the box and all! Sorry, no photo.

I also have my Daisey BB gun that my Dad bought for me from my cousin when I was 5! No photo either!

Last edited:

Mauser9

Single-Sixer
Great you held onto them. Heard worth money these days. At least our old stuff was often made of metal. I did have a Bat Masterson can that was cap firing I recall. think that big hoop lever I had was a Chuck Connors "Rifleman" edition.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Sadly I let mu O gauge trains go. But between my dad’s, mine and others gifted to me I have more rolling stock than I will ever use.

Seems like quite a few guys I know had dads into trains. They weren’t so they came my way.

hittman

Staff member
When and where I grew up trains and those race cars with tracks were rich kids toys. And our little farm house didnt have the room for tracks and such.

I had a few 1/16th scale farm toys and implements. A few Hot Wheels that I have no clue what happened to. There was also a Tonka Jeep and a Nylint Vista Dome horse van. All good memories …..

Danny

Single-Sixer
Pretty nice cap gun there.
I carried ( concealed , I guess), one of those 3" cap guns that looked like a old blunderbuss until the 4th grade nuns confiscated it.
They always got my good stuff.
Did they rap you across the fingers/knuckles for that?

Danny

ProfessorWes

Hunter
I had a fairly extensive collection of classic GI Joe stuff as a child, as well as Star Wars figurines and Luke's X-wing fighter to go with them. Also the Six Million Dollar Man. No idea what happened to them. They'd be worth some money now . . .

Robb Barnes

Hunter
The only old “toy” I still have is my my bolt action 410 shotgun I hit when I was four and my saddle that my first pony was wearing when I got her for Christmas the year I was six. The 410 is now my grandsons.

KIR

Blackhawk
A different article on the news today brought about the memory of the USS Nautilus, the first nuclear powered submarine to reach the North Pole. Shortly thereafter, I got a small toy model that one could pack with some baking soda, the sub would sink through to the bottom of my bathtub, then when the soda reacted with water, a bubble would form, causing the sub to rise to the surface where the bubble would pop and the sub would then sink again. It repeated five or six times. Very cool toy!

KIR

Blackhawk
Then again re: firearms...a few years ago, my cousin gave me her father's BB/pellet gun as she didn't know what to do with it. Her husband had long since passed and she knew I was interested/had a few firearms. It is a Marksman 1010, spring operated. Not very accurate, but good enough to scare away crows and ravens. The Daisy tin box was full of BB's. Instruction manual came with it.

Attachments

• Box.jpg
    Box.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
  • Lock & Load 001.jpg
    Lock & Load 001.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 18

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
A different article on the news today brought about the memory of the USS Nautilus, the first nuclear powered submarine to reach the North Pole. Shortly thereafter, I got a small toy model that one could pack with some baking soda, the sub would sink through to the bottom of my bathtub, then when the soda reacted with water, a bubble would form, causing the sub to rise to the surface where the bubble would pop and the sub would then sink again. It repeated five or six times. Very cool toy!

I remember the exact same thing ... I believe mine cost a quarter and two box tops - can't remember what cereal box :)

jd

Latest posts