Old Army - Serial number

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sam Johnson

Blackhawk
OA%201.JPG

OA%203.JPG

One of my OA has the full serial number etched on the underside of the top strap in addition to the last three on each side of the grip frame. I have seen many with the grip frame markings but this is the first I have seen with the sn on the top strap. Any others ?

flatgate

Hawkeye
My first impression is a "Factory re-work", i.e. the gun has been back for some serious maintenance/parts changing, etc.

flatgate

Coop

Blackhawk
Could be done by someone who had several, and did not want to have their parts mixed up when cleaning. I did the same when I had two ROA's for CAS matches. All were torn down for cleaning after each match, and all parts were dumped into the same cleaning tub.

Coop

G2

Hunter
? ? ? GUESS . . . that's done like that so one keep's the top strap with the cylinder frame.

And I have a great deal on some ocean front property here in AZ.
Could someone get the wall stretcher? :lol:

Makes no sense, other than somebody wanted to try out there electric pen. Maybe they thought somebody would steel the gun and grind off the SN# but ahh ha I had the hidden one. :roll:

chet15

Hawkeye
Does the sn side of the cylinder frame look dished out somehow? I'm thinking maybe Ruger made some kind of mistake rolling the serial number then ground it off and re-rolled it. I know of a couple guns that had that done in about 1968 (Details to be seen in Book 2!!).
Chet15

bigbore45colt

Hunter
Sam,

The s/n placement on the side of the frame looks odd to me. Seems like it is way to the left of the side of the frame, no?

I don't have my OAs with me right now to check.

BB45C

flatgate

Hawkeye
48278926.jpg

:D

I think the s/n looks OK, however the finish on Sam's gun looks a little "different". I wonder if it was "re-serialed"......like Chet15 mentioned?

flatgate