Old Army Questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ShortBBL

Blackhawk
Was the Old Army ever made with the 5.5" barrel and adjustable sights.... or were adjustable sights only on the 7.5" barrels?

Are the 5.5's harder to load, since (I am guessing) the ramrod (for lack of the right term) is shorter than on the 7.5" bbl model?

Is there a big difference in longer range accuracy with the shorter bbl? I had a 7.5 and I swear I could hit 1 pound coffee cans all day long, 100 yards away on a sand bank...... I wish I never sold that gun. (Hmmmmm it seems I have a LOT of guns I say that about)!

JohnBoy

Blackhawk
MINNESOTA - 6 months winter and 6 months rough sle
ShortBBL - I can only respond to your first question - there was at least one 5.5" made with adj. sights. Ron Honner from SD offered it for sale a year or so ago right here on RF. I haven't seen one since. Not sure what the story was on that one but I believe it was NIB factory. Can't recall if it was SS or blue - but it was pretty cool!

Stay safe!

rugerlovah

Single-Sixer
i purchased the 5.5" model. i find it much more handy than the 7.5" model. on the other hand ... i still might end up picking up a 7.5" shooter if i can find one reasonably priced. i like the adjustable sights.

as far as accuracy is concerned, i suspect that you could bolt a version of either barrel length to a ransom rest and shoot identical groups. but the adjustable sights of the 7.5" model will probably increase the accuracy of the human shooter. not just because they're adjustable, but because they give a bigger, clearer sight picture as well. you also get a longer sight radius with the 7.5", which helps with accuracy. just my opinion

as to the rammer, the 5.5" is definitely shorter. but i haven't had any trouble loading with it.

G2

Hunter
newestROA.jpg

Dienekes

Single-Sixer
That 5 1/2" SS AS NIB found a good home. On 1/15/08, the factory advised that it had been shipped in June 2001 as a KBP-5 'special production model'. No further information provided.

No idea why it was made, or where it was for 6 1/2 yrs. So far no others have surfaced. I call it The Unicorn because it isn't supposed to exist.

There are a couple of similar guns out there gunsmith modified from original 7 1/2"s.